1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-420H-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by plauz, Dec 12, 2004.

1. plauz

plauz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I'm gonna buy a Pioneer 435-HDE I also want to buy a dvd recorder.
    Is this dvd-recorder a good one? I've read some complaints about it as well as very good reviews. They say it is too loud, quality loss if you transfer from hd to dvd, no id3 support,...
    Are there better dvd-recorders, and if so, please tell me. I don't need a 160gb or higher hdd, unless if it isn't more expensive than this dvdr.

And for the remote control (if I buy a dvdr from sony or whatever), are there (good) universal remote controls?

*edit: are there dvdr with divx support and can you put mp3's on the hdd?
    And what's the electronic program guide exactly? Are there 500-800€ dvdr's with the epg?

2. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of questions - will answer those I don't have to research; don't have time to do the others! :)

Yes, I find it's a good one, and good value. I paid £349 at Peter Tyson.

I don't find mine loud at all when recording normally or when playing back. Very slight fan and disc drive noise; don't find it at all disturbing. However it is noisier when doing operations such as disc copy (HDD to DVD), DVD-R finalization, or disc backup (DVD to HDD). I don't find that a problem.

Cannot notice any quality loss in HDD to DVD transfer unless you lower the quality mode when you transfer, but then of course you'd expect that! Fine and SP modes give good picture quality on DTT broadcast recordings; don't find the difference is worth using fine. EP similar to VHS, LP horrible. Fairly standard stuff (similar on other recorders I expect).

You should also look at the Panasonic E85, a bit more money but better connectivity and from forums/reviews, better playback quality. Uses RAM rather than RW for rewriteable optical - just depends on your view of that. Both machines record on DVD-R with similar quality modes.

Remote is quite complex with lots of device-specific functions, though well-designed; not sure you'd find a universal that would do what you want.

Can't see any obvious way to put MP3s on the HDD. EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) is usually seen as a feature related to Digital TV tuners; not aware of an implementation in a separate HDD/DVD recorder. However you could use an EPG and timer on a Digital TV tuner and control the recorder using these timer entries with the recorder left in auto-start mode.

Hope this helps.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All the DVD/HDD machines have remotes with a multitude of functions. I'd say there is no hope of a universal remote to use effectively with any of them.

The 420 remote is very easy to use, despite the many functions, and it will control your TV volume and channel up/down.

http://www.avland.co.uk/products.htm have good close-ups of the Pioneer and Panasonic remotes and you'll see what I mean.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Marantz RC2000 works perfectly on my Pioneer HDD recorder,and worked just as well on my previous Panasonic HDD/DVDR,being able to learn every single button command

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I must admit I was thinking of universal remotes in the £15 - £20 range rather that £100 or so. What is a good price for the RC2000?

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't hear mine but I've always got the TV or computer blaring out.

I can't see any loss going from HD to DVD. However, if you record for example 3 hours in FINE mode (FINE MODE = 1 hr on a disk) and you want to put that onto DVD then you will have to re-encode it when it writes to the disk therefore losing quality.

Its only drawback for me is that its -RW. This means I can't put anything onto DVD and play it in another player unless I finalise first which takes about 13 mins. My Philips +RW will play in anything without finalising. The -R is OK and that takes 1 min to finalise.

The editing is brilliant and so easy to do.