1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-420H - Cant View Sky When Recording Analogue

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by liamdens, Jul 1, 2005.

1. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I have just taken ownership of one of these fine machines and set it up as per page16 of the manual. That is:

sky box (TVconnection) = scart = (AV2/L1) dvd recorder ( AV1) = scart = (Ext1) TV (JVC AV-32R4S)

aerial input = coax = sky = coax = dvd recorder = coax = TV

Power save is OFF. All settings are RGB and all works fine *except*:

When recorder is on or off, hitting the Sky button is fine, it comes on screen in RGB and stereo and all is good.

When I want to record Sky I set input select on the recorder to L1 and record in RGB and stereo, I can then switch to analogue TV and view as normal.

Now here is the problem: If I record analogue TV I hit the Sky button and although the Sky box is on I cannot see Sky on the TV. Im assuming the recorder has now hijacked the scart connection and wont pass-through the Sky pictures. The only way I can view Sky under these conditions is to view it via the RF feed.

Has anyone encountered or overcome this?

Cheers

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Use the second scart (if it has one) on the sky stb to a spare scart on your (if it has one).

Depending on what this scart can output, the signal will may be in s-video or more likely composite, either way it'll be better than RF and in stereo.

This is the normal set up amongst forum members and merely acts a 'temp bypass route' when the analogue tuner is being used by the recorder (as is in your case).

3. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevo

Thanks for the reply.

I assume you mean a spare scart on the TV? If so my JVC does have a second scart and it supports RGB. However the second scart on my standard Pace Sky digibox is labelled "VCR". Will that still output to the TV?

Also you say:

Do you mean this is standard to DVR-420 owners or that most DVD Recorders behave in the same way when the analogue tuner is being used?

Thanks

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Unless your 'vcr' scart supports RGB out (unlikely) then you will be able use a composite signal to your spare scart on your TV.

A 'standard' for most (all?) DVD recorders.

I have a Panasonic E100 and NTL stb and have a similar set up.

5. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I just tried the mentioned set-up. It does work but I have reverted to my original set-up as I noticed the quality of the main scart 1 RGB Sky pictured suffered when I had scart 2 attached.

Is this is because the Sky box has to do something different internally when it serves two scart outlets?

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Press the '+' button on the fascia of the 420. See Tip on page 48 of manual.
    Tis can't be done from the remote.

You are correct to have Power save OFF - this is necessary to get your Sky pass-through when the 420 is in standby.

7. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eddyad you are da man !!

I have been backwards and forwards through that manual and spent the last 3 evenings trying various permutations of scart and box order in order to view Sky when recording analogue.

I can now view quality Sky RGB when recording!

Now I have to ask, a function like this that will obviously be well used by the consumer why did they not think to add this to the remote? Seems a little short-sighted on such a nice intuitive machine?

Thanks again

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree. Unfortunately all machines have a compromise somewhere. I chose the Pioneer after downloading and reading all the on-line manuals I could find. My niggle is why don't Pionner put an AutoStart button on the remote? Panasonic did it with External Link.
    In the new ones Pioneer have removed Chapter Mark :( I use that to go back to stuff I want to pick up again).
    There's always something......

9. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't fathom it though, you have the design bods at Pioneer go through half a dozen acceptence meetings on the final product, they try it out, comment and revise and no one thinks to say

"You know this scart pass through function would be damn handy on the remote"

Never mind, at least I can watch in RGB/Stereo when taping now.

Cheers