1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-420 Playback help!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scottish1, Nov 24, 2004.

1. scottish1

scottish1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I just purchased the above dvd recorder, i intended to use it to copy my dvd-r discs that i've already made on my PC. However the pioneer does not recognise these disks, let alone allow me to copy them.

The dvd discs im using are dvd-r infiniti , i've always used them as i've had no playback problems with them before, until now of course.

Can anyone recommend blank dvd's that id be able to copy/use on my pioneer preferably from www.bigpockets.co.uk, or could it be another problem, not just the disc type?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

cheers

*Edited*

Ok after further pissing about with the machine i've concluded its not the discs thats the problem, i've got other copied dvd's (from other people) that i can copy no bother with the pioneer, so why is it i cannot copy or play the dvds that i've made on my computer???

2. scottish1

scottish1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please someone respond, im sure hundreds of people have experienced the same problem.

3. Tazleem

Tazleem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try dateWrite grays if has no probs wth them

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you are using Disc Backup.With this feature I have cloned literally hundreds of discs-all DVD-R.Usually Verbatim,TDK or JVC.
    The feature will not work with any DVD+ discs.
    Infiniti are the only brand I ever had problems with on my earlier machines.I only used one 25 spindle-that was enough

5. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume the software you are using on your pc "finalises " the disk.
    Unfinalised disks will play back on the pc which made them but not on standalone DVD players.

6. scottish1

scottish1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys, i use dvd cloner which usually allows the dvds to play back on my other dvd players but as i say ive had no luck playing them on the new pioneer.

I'll try different dvd's like you guys have suggested.

7. Forgeman

Forgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got one of these (yesterday) and initially couldn't view any jpg images at all as the Picture View tool was unavailable from the main menu.

I tried changing various settings in my burner s/w without any luck.

I eventually discovered that my DVD-R discs were auto-playing when the drawer closed. Pressing STOP made Picture View available and everything's been fine since.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Pioneers only show Baseline JPEGs, not Progressives. There is no diffrence in quality: progressive is supposed to give faster image buildup on PCs.
    If you use Photshop or other image s/w just make sure you save as baseline.

Also, images which have been rotated with the Microsoft Viewer bundled with some versions of Windows won't display. No clues as to why.

If you need a good free image editor try IrfanView (well worth the suggested subscription though) from www.irfanview.com

9. Forgeman

Forgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. Images taken on my old camera all displayed but not those taken with my new camera. All portrait images appear as question marks. The Canon EOS300D embeds information in the Exif data about camera rotation which is used in preview mode to ensure all images display the correct way up. Photoshop can read this too but it would appear that the Pioneer can't

10. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When you say Preview do you mean on the camera LCD or on a PC, and if the latter using what software?

Do JPEG viewers on other makes (Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony) have the same problem?

Actually it wasn't my problem - it was Brownrog's (who also has a Canon EOS300D) and we had a long PM exchange about what was going on. Finally we tracked it down to the MS Viewer.
    Canon images transferred straight to the PC from the camera were OK on the Pioneer - but portrait images had to be rotated.
    The solution is not to use MS Viewer. To burn correctly aligned images on to a CD use someting like Photoshop or IrfanView to rotate them.

Before putting images put images on a CD I use Phiotoshop Elements 2 to crop and touch up if necessary. Landscape are cropped to 16x9 ratio, and two 3x4 portrait formats just go side by side in a 16x9 frame for a TV version.

I wonder when/if we'll get 16x9 digital caneras? I never understood the 4x3 format. Even 3x2, the same as 35mm film, would be better than 4x3.

11. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Fuji Finepix 810 has a 16:9 mode as well as 4:3.

12. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I had a similiar problem when using my previous system. I used a programme to back up my dvds on my computer but when I tried to play them back on my technics dvd hifi they wouldn't play. However, they would play on my toshiba bedroom dvd player. When the programme makers released an updated version of the programme the technics recognised the new ones no problem. My point is that it may not be the discs that are at fault (though I would avoid Infiniti) but the way DVD Cloner encodes on the discs that your pioneer doesn't like. Why don't you try a freeware programme like DVD Shrink and see if any discs you back up still won't play. I use this programme myself and my dvds play superbly in my Pioneer 420

13. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forgeman, I'm the guy who originally posted about exactly this problem. As Eddyad says we did some tests that suggested a photoviewer from Microsoft (who else?) was the culprit. That viewer (MS Picture & Fax Viewer), when used to rotate images, certainly does cause this problem on the Pioneer, of that there is no doubt. If the rotation is done in the IrfanView Viewer or in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements the images display just fine.

But (and I'm not sure I've updated Eddyad on this) the MS Viewer may well not be the only problem. I first saw the problem with images taken on a Sony CyberShot. That camera has gone and I'm now using an EOS300D like you. It's true that my first impression was that images transferred directly from the camera (by drag and drop on a folder) display OK, and most do, but I've now discovered a number that do not - they display as the dreaded question mark! Some of these have been rotated in the camera some have not. The point is that I edit most of the stuff I take on the Canon, even if just a little bit (cropping, simple bright/contrast corrections). Then I re-save them of course as baseline JPEGs. I'm pretty darned sure that NONE of the re-saved images has produced the problem. But I don't edit every one and with some I have just, in the past, re-named the file in the folder so it never gets resaved. If you have not re-saved your images (as baseline JPEGS) you may well be seeing this problem on your 300D pics. The work-around is simple; just re-save every image you transfer (if you rename the files, do this with a Save As rather than a re-name in the folder). You don't need Photoshop to do this, or even Elements, you don't need to actually edit the image at all - you can re-save in anything that will save baseline JPEGs as far as I can see (including IrfanView). If they are already rotated as required there shouldn't be any problem with the re-saved image. If you need to rotate them use IrfanView or any half-decent image editor - just don't use the MS Viewer to do it! Resaving transferred images is a pain (especially if you have a big backlog and lots already on CD - you'll have to re-burn those) but IMO it's worth it because the Pio PhotoViewer thing is so convenient to show your masterpieces on a nice widescreen telly.

My process for images already on CD: If they're not still on the HDD transfer them there. Re-save all that have been rotated. Burn to a CD-RW. Play this in the Pio, note (filenames) any that still don't display. Go back to the PC and re-save all those. Then burn a new CD-R. It should be fine. Repeat using the same CD-RW until you're all done with your archive.

Alternatively just re-save them all and re-burn the CD-R straight off. Depends on the proportion with problems.

Hope this helps. Do post the results of your tests if you have time.

Re. 16:9 - there's lots of debate among pro photographers - lots of these guys are very traditional. But I think we'll see it increasingly just as we are in seeing in camcorders.

14. Forgeman

Forgeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brownrog (& Eddyad)

Thanks to both of you for your input - most helpful.

I haven't touched MS Viewer so can't lay blame at M$'s door, much as I am tempted! ;)

I use a card reader to copy all images across to my h/d. Like you, I do some basic editing. I use Photoshop for all my work. AFAIA, both Photoshop and Windows XP Pro "see" the 300D's rotated portrait images correctly so I haven't found the need to use a rotate tool on them. Like you, my edits are mainly histogram (for contrast/brightness) and cropping. All my resaves are as baseline JPEGs. However, I usually "save" rather than "save as..." (Immediately I copy across from the CF card, I make a duplicate folder on my h/d and store it in an backup folder so that if I screw up big time when editing, I have a fall-back (remarkably useful and has got me out of trouble on lots of occasions!).

Hopefully things will be less hectic after Christmas and I'll find some time to experiment with the Pioneer further. (My earlier postings were done when trying out a new DVR-420H for a couple of days as a possible replacement for an ageing VCR. I've been so impressed I bought it this morning so can now hopefully get to grips with what it can do.)

Re the Pioneer JPEG Viewer, am I correct in thinking that the length of time a JPEG is screened cannot be altered? (Before anyone makes the obvious reply to this - yes, I have rtfm!)

15. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Short answer - Yes :(
    (or I haven't found a way)
    But press Pause on the remote on the first image and change them at your own speed with the Prev/Next rocker.

The roatated image thing is getting curiouser and curiouser.
    You could try rotating a portrait image 360 deg in Photoshop and saving. Or using Save As as that gives the full set of JPEG options and presumably redoes the image control information in the JPEG.

16. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tried the following media all recorded on a NEC 2100 using Nero and/or DVDDecrypter.

Bulkpaq orange DVD-R
    Bulkpaq printable DVD+R
    Ridisc DVD-R
    Verbatim DVD+RW
    and some other unknown brands of + and -

All playback flawlessly. In fact I have never come across a more compatible player :)

Oops! Pioneer 220 here. Not a 420 though they should be the same excepting the hard disk.

17. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of my photos on the Canon were taken on long distance walks over 2-3 weeks so were transferred to a pocket viewer and storage unit (with 30GB HDD and CF Card Slot), and when I got home from there to the PC (USB). (BTW this is a neat unit known as a Flashtrax - it plays MP3s as well! Sort of IPOD+ :) ). The rotation in the camera was not preserved hence the need to rotate some images on the PC. But I stress that some non-rotated images do not display on the Pio either. I think that some of these "problem" images (which exhibit no problem on the PC) went nowhere near the MS viewer, and indeed it seems like you have hit this problem with images transferred straight from the camera - the simplest possible process. Is there anything at all you can correlate these particular images with? In any case, the "Save As" workaround seems to be 100% successful. If you do this in PS of course and use the same filename it tells you the file already exists, do you want to replace it - yes. Then, in any case, with Save As, it asks you to re-specify JPEG quality (I always use max value of 12) and this seems to remove the Pio display problem. I suspect that the Save As resetting the JPEG parameters is what rids the image of the characteristic causing the glitch, but I'd love to know what that is and what caused it in the first place!

One other thing - higher speed burning (eg 40x or more) causes a mass of non-displayable images on the Pio with my burner (and Nero with 52x TDK CD-Rs), all in the "centre" of the file structure - earlier and later images show OK. I burn at 8x having done my resaves as explained and there are then NO failures-to-show on the Pio! :) Curiouser and curiouser.

Do let me know if you get any more clues about the cause.

Roger