1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer Dvr 420 Hs Recording/playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fred the ted, Dec 30, 2004.

1. fred the ted

fred the ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I treated myself to a Pioneer DVR420HS for Christmas, to enable me to get rid of my standalone DVD player and my VCR creating less clutter under the TV, but all was not to be.
    I was under the impression that I could record on the hard disc whilst viewing a DVD disc at the same time.
    Last night I was playing the ‘LOR’ extended edition (region 3), another present, and set the HDD timer to record the football.
    Unfortunately as soon as the game started recording the DVD switched off.
    I checked the manual but could find no mention of how or whether I can do this.
    Am I being stupid to expect this or is there a way?
    At the moment I have hooked up the old DVD player to overcome this, but this beats the object of buying a recorder in the first place.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    420 manual Page 55 note says:
    "During recording or in timer recording standby, you can’t play an HDD title, DVD or Video CD/Super VCD disc if the Input Line System setting doesn’t match the TV line system of the disc/HDD title"

So as you were watching Region 3 DVD, was the line system 625 PAL?

I just set a short timer recording then started to play a DVD copied from the HDD. The timer recording started OK - no interruption to DVD playback.
    I stopped timer recording (with DVD playing) after 4 mins (press Record for 3 secs then Rec Stop).The DVD carried on OK .
    Then I stopped the DVD (Resume), checked the HDD recording which was OK, reselected DVD and pressed Start and it resumed.

3. fred the ted

fred the ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Ted.
    As most of my discs are region 1, I'll suppose I'll to adapt or try Region 2.

4. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was surprised to find that on my Pio '720 I could manually start a recording to the HDD and then select DVD and play a title whilst it continued to record OK.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    And of course you can watch any HDD recording while a new recording is being made.
    This includes the current one which is then in 'Chase Play' mode.

What you can't do is start to watch a DVD then start manual or OTR recording on to the HDD.
    If you stop the DVD hoping to resume, then switch to HDD to start a maunual recording, then switch back to the DVD you have lost the DVD Resume point.

So plan your HDD recording requirement with the timer before you start to watch a DVD.