1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR 420 HDD Screen Setting Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by csharman, Aug 2, 2005.

1. csharman

csharman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I've had a Pioneer DVR-420 HDD Recorder for about 7 months now, and had no problems at all until the last few days. What appears to be happening is the picture switches between 4:3 and 16:9 at random times when playing back on my Toshiba TV.

Naturally, the Pioneer is connected with SCART and I've not had this happen before. As it tends to record terrestrial programmes in letterbox 4:3 I just expand the picture to fill the screen using the TV remote. But it has now started switching back and forth between 4:3 and widescreen all by itself during playback.

Even more disturbingly, it did a similar thing on a DVD (X-Men 2) I was watching yesterday, where it kept switching between the regular Wide screen setting (letterboxed) and Cinema (which is what I had set the TV to). Up until that point I had put it down to poor signal quality on the original recording, but I don't believe this should happen at all on regular DVDs.

At this point, I am blaming the recorder rather than the TV as I don't get this problem when watching regular TV (from the aerial), or from my NTL box, or from my PS2.

The Pioneer is set to use 16:9, etc. and has been since I first set it up. I have not changed anything. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. fred the ted

fred the ted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 420 is the same age and is currently in 'hospital' for a check out after experiencing numerous problems.
    It's still under warranty so take your one back to your retail

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try these:

1. Make sure your scarts are fully 'home'. The weight of the cables on the plugs and the poor scart pin design can cause enough disturbance to affect things. You might try taking them out and putting them in again in case of slight oxidation on the pins.

2. With the 420 stopped, press TV/DVD (top right) and make sure tha machine is in DVD mode. This dispalys on the TV screen and the front panel.