Pioneer DVR 320

P

peter l

I was all set to plunge for the Pioneer DVR320, but this site is sowing some doubts in my mind.
It seems to have good reviews and i-link. But should I be looking for one with EPG, digital tuner and HDD?
I assume that the 320 will record from a freeview box?
One basic question is can I record one programme and watch another at the same time?
Any advice welcome.

I have the Pioneer 220s (sames as the 320 but without the i-link.

Yes it will allow for recording from Freeview box (in RGB quality).

Yes it will allow for recording 1 program whilst watching another (if recording Freeview though you watch a different Freeview channel). But you can record BBC1 analogue and watch Freeview or another analogue channel.

I couldn't afford the price of a HDD/recorder so plummed for the £200 220s and have been delighted with it. As a replacement for a VCR its a massive leap forward in terms of quality of picture/sound and flexibility.

A HDD/Recorder is a more comprehensive solution if you want to spend the cash.

Also, do you need the i'link as when I was looking the 320 was around £100 more than the 220 and the i-link is the only difference.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I am looking for i-Link, to edit camcorder tapes.

If recording a freeview channel, what do you input to distinguish between BBC1 on freeview and BBC1 analogue for example?

I have the 220s too. Freeview is assigned to L1, an external input. I use it in conjunction with the Pioneer Freeview box, and its bloody great quality.

Got both from Richer Sounds before XMAS for £230. Also found a MR hack on the internet which worked a treat.

Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature - answers many of the DVD recorder FAQs. But the key piece of advice I will give you is if you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players then buy a HDD/DVDR combi!

The Pioneer 320 is a decent budget recorder - not the best there is - but a solid performer none the less.

peter l said:
Thanks, that's great because I have a Pioneer Freeview box too.

Be warned. The Pioneer Freeview box only outputs RGB via SCART1. SCART2 only does Composite/S-Video.

=> Best connection method is SCART1 FREEVIEW->SCART2 220 then SCART1 220-> TV RGB Scart.

You'll get RGB all of the way, as the 220 does pass RGB, even when the 220 is in Standby. (The plus is that it only uses one SCART on your Display Device as well).

Rasczak, the link was invaluable, thanks :) . Also, point taken on the HDD/DVDR combi.

That would lead me to the Pioneer DVR 520 (currently around £371) or would you suggest I pick one from the top 5 on the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link? The Toshiba RDXS32 looks good and slim like the Pioneers.

Or should I wait for the Toshiba RDXS34 with Digital Tuner?

PDP, thanks for the best connection method!

would you suggest I pick one from the top 5 on the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link? The Toshiba RDXS32 looks good and slim like the Pioneers.
Glad the link was helpful - the Top 5 is designed to be a guide only - not to direct people which machines to buy. That said the Toshiba RDXS32 is in the Top 5 and the 'cheap' Pioneers aren't because all things being equal the Toshiba is the better machine. Multi format support, better DVD authoring options, better connectivity (component, progressive scan) and more picture controls. The ony disadvantages compared to the Pioneer range are lack of NTSC recording (playback is no problem) or PAL60 recording (for US VHS tapes). If neither of those are an issue then I would go for the Toshiba everytime.

Or should I wait for the Toshiba RDXS34 with Digital Tuner?
Only you can decide that - it is still several months away - but if you want a Freeview recorder that looks like the best on the Horizon!

Rasczak said:
The ony disadvantages compared to the Pioneer range are lack of NTSC recording (playback is no problem) or PAL60 recording (for US VHS tapes). If neither of those are an issue then I would go for the Toshiba everytime.

One other point in favour of the Pioneer is that it is much more tolerant of the media it is fed than the Tosh. I had problems with the Tosh in this respect, and there have been other threads on this. My 420 has yet to reject a single disc, in either recording or playback.

One other point in favour of the Pioneer is that it is much more tolerant of the media it is fed than the Tosh. I had problems with the Tosh in this respect, and there have been other threads on this.
That is a fair point. Although if you use branded media, which i would suggest using all the time, your generally going to be OK.

At this stage in the game, for terrestrial TV I would wait for the DVD/HDD machines with digital (Freeview) tuners. The BBC announced toady that 5 million homes now have Freeview capability, so the recorder manufacturers can't hang around for ever. And once there is one...

I'd still be waiting (from last August) if my VCR hadn't urgently needed replacing.
I know you can always wait for the next this or that, but IMHO digital tuners really are pretty significant now.

Thank you all for your input.

One question - when would I require NTSC recording capability?

I am now leaning towards waiting for the Tosh RDXS34 or similar and, in the meantime buying a DVD player. For the latter, can I buy I good one for around £75 (or less!)?

peter l said:

I am now leaning towards waiting for the Tosh RDXS34 or similar and, in the meantime buying a DVD player. For the latter, can I buy I good one for around £75 (or less!)?

Tosh 340e. Have a look at the threads on the DVD player section. Wonderful little player, despite, again, some complaints from users about disc compatibility/ratty drive.

peter l said:

There are loads of decent brand DVD players around. e.g. http://www.digitaldirectuk.com have a Sony DVP NS355 for £47 (region2) plus others, RicherSounds have a mixed selection,

Just a point that if he plans to get the Toshiba RDXS34 then something like the Panasonic S27 or Panasonic S47 are probably two of the best choices. Both will play DVD-RAMs which will enable him to record and play (without finalisation) on his new DVD player.

Links are for reference!

Barzo said:
One other point in favour of the Pioneer is that it is much more tolerant of the media it is fed than the Tosh. I had problems with the Tosh in this respect, and there have been other threads on this. My 420 has yet to reject a single disc, in either recording or playback.

I also noticed my pioneer 220 would read any disc I put into it no matter the media. I was later informed that these units have Pioneer A07's in them which by coincidence I have in my PC which also reads anything.

Add to that the fact that the pioneer 220 is currently £149.99 at Richer Sounds, as seen in an ad in this months What Hi-Fi. Also if you look in ebay you can get a firmware multi region upgrade disc for a couple of quid, you're laughing all the wy to the bank :thumbsup:

Someone has even placed the Multi Region firmware on EDonkey :)

silsila said:
I also noticed my pioneer 220 would read any disc I put into it no matter the media. I was later informed that these units have Pioneer A07's in them which by coincidence I have in my PC which also reads anything.

I've had a few screw ups when using Bulkpaq Orange, so I've started using DataWrite Reds and they seem fine.

Recorded that crocodile program that was on BBC1 tonight from Freeview using FINE (1 Hr) setting. Just watched it, what cracking picture quality even on my Plasma. I love this DVD Recorder.

PDP-434HDE said:
I've had a few screw ups when using Bulkpaq Orange, so I've started using DataWrite Reds and they seem fine.

Recorded that crocodile program that was on BBC1 tonight from Freeview using FINE (1 Hr) setting. Just watched it, what cracking picture quality even on my Plasma. I love this DVD Recorder.

I had a few bulkpaq orange screw up in my PC. A liteon scan show bad write quaility after 2 gig. Not on all of them though. I Never tried them in my dvr-220. I am currently using the last of my datawrite red which, like you said work fine in the 220. I am also using RiDisc 8x dvdr which also work fine in the 220.

Will the integrated Freeview on the upcoming Tosh RDXS34 be single or twin tuner? If single tuner, will that limit the simultaneous view/record options?

On the DVD player front does anyone have experience of the cheaper Pioneers, DV360/370 for example?

Richer Sounds seem to have a good deal, at £40 for the Region 2 and 50 for the multiregion, on the Panasonic S27 (thanks Rasczak). Are the connections good on this one? Will it work well with my Sony 21SR2 LCD TV? Ditto the Tosh RDXS34. Ultimately, the DVD player will link up with my children's portable and pioneer freeview box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom