pioneer dvr 3100 picture artefacts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aob9, May 10, 2004.

1. aob9

aob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it essential to record in the highest quality mode to avoid all picture artefacts on this machine. I have noticed a certain amount block noise and blurring with all but the highest settings, particularly in a fast moving scene. This machine has great reviews on picture quality so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I have scarted my Sky box to input 1 but I also notice artefacts when copying direct from my digital camcorder via i-link. I am using infiniti dvd-r 4x discs which have not let me down in terms of reliability and compatibility but maybe are not the best for quality...............any suggestions or am I being a little too fussy ( I have been accused of this in the past!!!!!!!!!)

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how picky you are.Even the best dvd's can exhibit these problems.Do you have a big screen?I have the 5100 and all seems ok .Use the MN settings to maximise disc space and try not to go over 2.25 hours.
    Infiniti discs are from the cheap and nasty selection,but if they record and playback ok,then the picture should be the same.I find these cheapo discs usually die before finalisation or have playback problems once finalised.With top quality TDK,JVC ,Verbatim for only £1 why save a few pence-go for quality

3. aob9

aob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you're probably right, do pioneer recommend any particular brand?, I haven't noticed any reference in the manual. the other problem with cheap discs is their longevity which has cost me in the past.
    I can't believe the noise about the lack of rgb input though, maybe this is part of my problem!

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you stick to quality makes you should be fine.I think the lack of RGB is a problem for those without s-video output devices like Sky+.I admit that if I only had a standard digibox the lack of RGB would have stopped me from getting the Pioneer.But strangely,most dvd recorders coming out have no RGB,even the Philips clones remove the RGB.LG have just bought out a corker-no RGB AND no s-video either.That is very bad.

5. aob9

aob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems all a bit pointless. The main advantage of dvd over vhs is picture quality which is obviously compromised by the lack of proper connectivity.I'm off to search for decent dvd-r web retailers...any suggestions

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,the Pioneer does have RGB output.I would go for CDR Media who cover all price levels.I would try Verbatim 4x Slim Jewel case discs.Get 100 then the £6 postage adds very little and you get next day delivery

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

aob9 - please be assured many Pioneer Dealers and even Pioneer UK have made lots of noise to Japan about the lack of an RGB input on the DVR-3100 and DVR-5100H recorders (and plenty of that noise was before the units were produced).

If you have a non S-Video Digibox I'd suggest you budget for a JS Technology RGB2S-Video converter between your Digibox and the S-Video input on your DVR-3100 - it looks much better than Composite Video direct form the Digibox.

I tend to keep my DVR-5100H in SP (2hr) mode and find that pretty acceptable - I've always stuck with the TDK discs that came as a sample with the DVR-3100.

I think your missing the point with DVR over VHS or SVHS recorders - its not about absolute picture quality its about fast random access to information on a disc and not having to store bulky VHS tapes (which degrade big time when being stored).

Best regards

Joe

8. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Well they listened as the 3100 and 5100 are discontinued and being replaced with new models that do support RGB In.

Whether they will have a better analogue stage (no cheap PAL comb filter artefacts and a better TBC) remains to be seen.

They recommend TDK simply because TDK are Pioneer's supplier of DVD-R media. TDK have taken over a lot of the R&D that Pioneer used to do with DVD-RW and DVD-R, with Pioneer now concentrating on Plasma TVs as a new source of big profits (the money has largely gone out of DVD recordable now prices are forced low). Plasma TVs now being made in the factory that once produced Pioneer media.

Regards

Philip

10. aob9

aob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0