1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer dvr 3100 and 5100 no rgb in only s/video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alwyn, Sep 16, 2003.

1. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    According to a german site that is reporting the specs of both models,they both have same connections scart in s/video. scart out rgb and s/video.What is the point of rgb out if there is no rgb in?.They report delivery dates oct for 3100 £500 5100 nov.£850
    Sony are introducing a new dvd recorder with 250gb hd. available in uk early 2004 model rdr hx10 priced at £850. with rgb in and out

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    RGB in is still something relatively new - RGB Out is of course standard for DVD players (for DVD playback). We take it for granted now the Panny/Philips and Sony models have it that ALL models should have it. That will be case eventually but it will take a year or so for all the Japanese companies to realise it is an important feature what with us all having Sky/Freeview digiboxes with RGB out.

Nevertheless the Pioneer 3100 and 5100 still represent stunning value IMHO. They are something worth considering if you don't want to pay the £100 (approx) premium for the E100.

3. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Rasczak, What makes the pioneer 3100and5100 so special,considering that they have no prog. scan no component video,or are you refering to the panasonic 100 when you say stunning
    Have you seen the spec on the sony rdrhx10?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    When you look at the 5100 then you are getting a top machine - it's got all the features you could want (Timeslip, Dubbing, Editting, iLink etc) and it is £100 less than the E100. If lack of RGB in/Component isn't a concern then it is a top machine. Of course the HS2 is £550-600 at the moment but we don't know how much longer these units will be available and we don't know what sort of prices online retailers will sell the 5100 for. So the 5100 could indeed be on many people's XMAS lists.

I've only seen specs for the Japanese version so far. Still awaiting details of US/European models. Have you got confirmation of the 250GB drive for the UK? If so it will make the competition look somewhat inadequate (the E120 is only sheduled to have 120GB).

5. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  6. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was set on getting the Panny HD recorder this xmas and now you've spoilt it by telling me about the Sony. It looks nicer than the Panny and I love the idea of 250GB disk. It will also look better with my 36NX200 Sony screen. Any idea whether it will be available at the start, middle or end of 2004?

7. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is supposed to be the start,but we will have to wait and see

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Posing a question about RGB:

I thought most modern TVs simply took RGB in and converted it to S-Video in order to process the signal internally to allow various zoom options and settings. If you can adjust the colour of an RGB input then that was evidence of this happening. An older TV would simply pass the RGB directly through to the tube bypassing the sets colour controls.

Maybe a DVD Recorder does the same thing in order to offer picture adjustments and noise reduction? In which case wouldn't an S-Video out give similar results, or if no S-Video only RGB/Composite, then use a box that converts RGB to S-Video.

Certainly a Firewire transfer and an S-Video transfer to DVD both look about the same, how much difference between RGB and S-Video?

What do others think?

Regards

Philip

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    PhilipL,

I think it would be hard to able to confirm an answer to this question. My E20 (S-Video in/Output in S-Video) gave a clearly inferior picture to the RGB in/RGB out of the HS2. However comparing S-Video in/S-Video out on the HS2 also gave a better picture than the E20 which would suggest, as is indeed the case, the latter machine is based on somewhat updated technology so would be expected to give a better picture. Comparing the Toshiba RX3 to the HS2 the latter again wins - but being totally difference machines that could be down to any one of a hundred reasons.

IMHO, as Picture Quality is a subjective issue, the best bet is for people to go down to their local stores and trial these machines before buying. There are a fair few Pioneer/Panasonic shops around - and the likes of the RX3 can be picked up in most comet stores.

With regard to the Sony I think AvLand might be being a bit optimistic on the date. Still time will tell.

10. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I hooked up my sky+ s/video to compare picture with scart rgb,I could not see any difference in the pq.With this in mind,I will go for the 5100 when it comes out dispite no rgb.As for the sony if it reaches our shores I will try that one also hell its only money

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Have to say I agree with your anaylsis alwyn - if you consider the PQ about equal then why pay a premium for RGB in? I know there are people who insist that RGB in is better but I think it is more subjective than that - I certainly know several people who actually prefer the S-Video picture to the RGB one. And as you have Sky+ there is no need for a RGB-S-Video converter.

:eek:

12. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I was set on getting the Panny HD recorder this xmas and now you've spoilt it by telling me about the Sony. It looks nicer than the Panny and I love the idea of 250GB disk. It will also look better with my 36NX200 Sony screen. Any idea whether it will be available at the start, middle or end of 2004?"

I am also DVD recorderless at the moment :-( I am set on the Pioneer 5100, with regards to the Sony with 250GB, you will end up getting nothing by that thinking, by the time that comes out there will be a more flashier/better/bigger one - The 5100 will do just what I want it to and not even I would be able to store approx 300 hrs of video let alone the 102 on the 5100 - go with the Pioneer, I am quite sure there will be no dissapointment!!
    Regards

13. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha - Fair point - glad you were able to fit in your spending powers with us, you can now safely go out into the world and buy the 5100 and then the Sony in 4 months - problem solved.
    :)

14. priit

priit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Posing a question about RGB output also:

Is the RGB out supposed to work only with DVD?
    I was trying to get RGB out signal while watching the TV channels with the inbuilt Tv Tuner of the 5100 - the picture is blank.

Is it this machine or is the TV signal not convertible to RGB?

Priit

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    It should work without problem. If your getting a black picture that means it is a composite signal that is being output. Re-check all your settings!

16. priit

priit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, I am getting a black picture! But, the AV1 or the RGB out Scart can not be set by user unlike to the AV2 Scart where user can choose between composite/Svideo/decoder.