1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-220 ... Chuffed ....but...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmjohnson123, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got my Pioneer 220 set up now. On the whole I'm chuffed.

Its easy to use and the picture quality for both Playback of pre-recorded DVD's and recording to DVD from analogue tuner or Freeview box is superb.

The fan noise which has been commented on in these forums (for the 220 and other recorders) is barely noticeable unless I cuddle the unit (which I am tempted to do constantly).

Now for the but - I have one glitch which I could do with your advice on guys:

Discs recorded on the 220 play fine in my Pioneer DV-454 player but I get frequent skips/stutters when playing upstairs on my Phillips 15PT6807/05N TV/DVD Combi Unit. The stutter is a bit like the layer change on a pre-recorded disk and occurs once or twice a minute when playing.

I am recording in SP quality in Video Mode and am having this problem using both TDK 2x -RW and Datawrite 4x -R discs.

Can anybody suggest anything I can change at the Pioneer recorder end or at the Phillips playing end to resolve this problem.

I have emailed Philips but I'm sure you guys will be more help than them.

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect that the Philips is on its way out. The lasers don't last forever and R/RW discs are not as reflective as manufactured DVD's. I have exactly the same problem wiith an aged Hinari cheap DVD player that used to be happy with R/RW DVD's but now will hardly play any.

3. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Thanks for the reply.

This combi-unit is only 5 months old and will play another -R disk fine (which someone burnt on a PC I believe).

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlike manufactured DVD's, R and RW DVD use different dyes that some recorders/players like more than others. I suspect that the R disc made for you by someone else that plays on the Philips is a different dye type to the ones you have done yourself. This is a minefield and it took me some time to find what discs were best for reliable interchange between my machines. In general, I have found that "cheap" discs are just not worth the hassle. I generally use Taiyo Yuden/Panasonic/Verbatim - but this is my personal choice. I have never had consistent reliability from Datawrite/Dataspeed/Ritek style discs although many others have had no problem. As I said, it is a bit of a minefield! Some mail order web sites offer "sample packs" with a range of different discs for you to experiment with.

5. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Tabatha, what your saying makes sense.

I had considered that the discs used may be an issue but found it hard to believe that the TDK and Datawrite discs could both be problematic causing the same skip/stutter problem.

I will get hold of some sample packs and see how I get on.

Thanks again Tabatha

6. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, for the benefit of anyone stumbling on this thread via a search.

I have now tried the following -RW disks:-
    TDK Scratchproof 2x
    Verbatim 4x
    Datasafe 2x

All these record fine in Video Mode on my Pioneer 220 and play fine in a pioneer player and my Dell Laptop. All display the same skip/stutter problem in my Philips 15PT6807 DVD/TV combi unit.

I am just going to have to use my pioneer player upstairs connected to the phillips so I might aswell have just bought a TV rather than the now useless Philips Combi :mad: .

PS. I am still really pleased with Pioneer 220 and would really recommend it.

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid that Philips seem to have lost their way when it comes to reliability and quality - in my humble opinion.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Agreed. According to their PR they are moving away from production and increasing focus on R&D and licencing revenue. Whether this includes the AV electronic goods market remains to be seen - but given their recent spate of DVDR products it wouldn't be a great loss.