1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-109

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ldoodle, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Hi,

Just got one of the for my PC, and would just like to know what the best media to use for this drive is.

Thanks/...

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Depends what you are going to be recording.

If it's things like digital photos which are going to want to keep and archive for many years I would personally use a branded DVD media such as TDK or Taiyo Yuden although it wouldn't surprise me if the discs came from the same manufacturing plant as media from the likes of Datawrite, Datasafe. Checkout
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html

For archiving video footage I use Datawrite Yellows which seem to be fine when recorded on my DVR-109 and played back on my Pioneer DVD player.

I've found the recording speed of media to have the greatest impact on replaying media rather than different brands i.e. recording at 2x and 4x on the DVR-109 always works when the media is played on a DVD player. Recording any faster, even if the media is certified 8x and recorded at 8x causes playback problems resulting in picture breakup, pixelisation and unable to fwd or rev with reliable results.

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Buying by brand rather than media code will always be a lottery.

SVP give the media codes for discs, regardless of the brand, so reference to the best media codes here will let you make a more informed choice.

Basically anything from SVP coded MCC, MKM, RicohJPN or TY will be the most reliable, and you should certainly be able to burn at the certified speed, if not faster.