Pioneer dvr-108 installation problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmjohnson123, Dec 26, 2004.

1. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys, I really need your help.

I have just installed a Pio dvr-108 on my Pentium 4 PC running Windows 98SE (long story why I'm still on Win98).

I am able to rip and burn DVD's using DVD Shrink and DVDDecrypter.

The problem is I can't play DVD's !

I have installed BSPlayer and I also have Nero 6 installed with its viewer.

Nothing autoruns when I insert a DVD disc in the drive and evn if I find a TS video file through explorer and double click it I get and error messaage "cannot play DVD from this location".

The drive is installed on the secondary IDE channel with nothing else connected on this channel.

Any ideas guys ?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It sounds like the hardware is working perfectly to me so there must be some issue with the player software. Does BSPlayer allow you to run a DVD by opening a folder, so you can direct it to the DVD VIDEO_TS folder?

I'm only familiar with WinDVD which has always worked fine so I'd recommend downloading a trial version to see if that does the trick.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

If you are running a licensed version of Nero 6 I would suggest updating Nero 6 to the latest version 6.6.0.3 http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php
    and also download and update packages 2 and 3 to deliver Nero Showtime 2 and Nero Media player. This will at least give you a decent software DVD player and decoder/encoder on your PC for free.

You could try installing Media Player 10 but not sure if this will work under Win98.

As for DVDShrink you should be OK with R2 DVD's but you will need to flash your A08 firmware for any other non R2 DVD's. You should be able to get it from
    http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/

The position of your DVD on IDE0 or IDE1 as a master or slave will not make any difference with regards to enabling playback of DVD's.

4. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I've taken the plunge and installed XP and Power DVD on my rebuilt PC so the playback issues under win98 have all gone away.

My dvr-108 currently has the official Pioneer 1.14 firmware (locked to region 2).

I am interested in updating firmware to multiregion. Is there anything I need to know or beware of or is the process straightforward - I don't want to turn my lovely drive into a paperweight :suicide:

5. alicat

alicat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pop over to cdfreaks.com. Use the search facility and you will find a hacked firmware for your 108. Be careful though as the hacks are unofficial!

6. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've not had any problems flashing the firmware on an A03, A05 and A08 drive.
    As alicat states the firmware updates are unofficial (done at your own risk) but I've not had any problems. Follow the instructions and advice when performing the update and you will be OK.

Things to be aware off.....

You will be allowed to burn DVD-R's at 16x regardless of the speed of the DVD-R. I've found that burning cheap DVD-R's such as Datawrite Reds (4x) are OK up to 6x but better makes of DVD-R i.e. Verbatim (4x) can be written at 8x. Have tried burning 8x DVD-Rs at 12x and that was mostly successful but 8X DVD-R's at 16x mostly fail. As faster media comes along this won't be an issue but it's interesting to mess about and try things out

:)