1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-106 DVD WRITER - £130 inc VAT

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by 50/50, Jul 15, 2003.

1. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/SVP_Communications_Special_Offers_15.html

Just bought one. Very good value for what you get !

The Pioneer 106 can write to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CDR and CDRW discs.

DVD+/-R write-once recording is 4 speed so you can write a full 4.7GB disk in approx. 15 minutes (this will require 4x rated DVD+/-R media)

Pressed DVD-ROM reading is now 12-speed (6 Speed for DVD-R-HS & 4 Speed for DVD-RW-HS) HS=High Speed DVD-R Media.

CD-R write speed has been increased to 16x.

High-Speed CD-RW speed has been increased to 10x.

CD-ROM reading speed is 32x.

Liquid-crystal tilt mechanism is employed to eliminate any decline in recording and playback precision caused by variations in the curvature and thickness of discs.

Smart laser driver technology.

Thanks to Pioneer's original Precision Recording Technology, the DVR-106 dramatically improves the writing precision of DVD-RW and ease-of-use. Writing performance is also improved due to the application of Distributed Real-time Defect Management

This is the OEM version of the drive. It does not come in a retail box, and no software, cables, manual or installation screws are included.

2. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is quite a bargain. I ordered one on Tuesday afternoon for £135 inc vat and del and received it 9am the following morning.

I think it's a special offer price which might not last much longer, so if you're after a dual format drive, you can't go far wrong with this one.

3. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old 104 but I burn like loads of DVD films. ( my own of course ). I have always burned at 1x to mimimise errors.

Can I presume I can up this to 6 speed on this one? It would quarter my current burn time!

4. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The write speed to a DVD-R or +R is actually 4x speed, so a full DVD (data files or a movie) can be written in just 15 minutes.

I've only had it for a few days, but I've "backed-up" several films at 4x without any problems and they've played fine on a few different DVD players.

5. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "backing up" of dvd's are become more and more easy. Now you can even include all the menus and special features !

6. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comfirmation, Just placed my order. My mate's getting a cheap 104!

Cheap 4x media???

what prog for menu's extra's etc? I use shrink at the mo for just the film

cheers, Kam.

7. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I ordered a pack of 25 "Datawrite Red -R 4x"for just under £20 from blankdiskshop. Haven't had any problems so far. Bigpockets have them for a simlar price as well.

Take a look at "DVD Decrypter" and "DVD2one" for backing up an entire film - you will of course have to sacrifice some picture quality in order to include the menus and extras. I found this site gives a nice guide in using them:

http://www.sirscrub.com/start.htm

8. Kam the Man

Kam the Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Max, I went for DVD95COPY in the end as I like to cuts bits out to save on compression. Bit slower though.

Dycrypter is fab as is Shrink.

Just need to update my NERO to recognise my new 106! Arrive in 2 days, ace.

Kam.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Just got my Pio 106 and 25 bulkpaq orange x4 discs.

I was alarmed at first as the 106 had clearly been bumped in transit and had a chip on 1 side. There was also the sound of something plastic rattling inside the case.

Anyway the slight chip is completely invisible when its installed and the drive works perfectly... phew!
    I've also updated my version of nero express and all is well.

Despite some worries about the bulpaq discs, I've just succesfully backed up one of my DVDs to test out the drive, and it plays flawlessly.
    If the problem with these discs is that they don't always play on other peoples players, then frankly I don't care.
    They work for me and that's all that matters.

In particular, my copy of Avia has a split in the plastic where the case gripped it too hard! My next job is to back this up before it gets any worse

£130 for this drive is a bargain!

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I've found that for me at least, the Ritek disks seem to be the most compatibla disks for playing in standalone players. All disks (even the cheapo Mirror ones I bought) seem to play without problems in my htpc though. They skip and bring up 'correcting disk error' on some players. I guess pcs have better error correction than standalone players.

At £1.25 a disk, the Riteks a're not too expensive either, though I did manage to get a pack of 50 genuine Ritek 4x disks at a computer fair for £32.5. :D

Funnily enough Jules, my Avia disk has also chipped in the center, and with the disk being less than 4.7 gig, it was easily copied onto a single DVD-R disk in its entirety, and with no compression. I keep both the copy and the original in a DVD cas that holds two disks.

Gary.

11. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well looks like i've treated myself to one as well.

Lets see how long before I can back up a DVD 1:1?

Getting nervous about little fingers with the disney classics and to back up nebula recordings.

Is this drive region freeable?

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Not yet as far as I know, but to get round it, I've removed my 32speed cd burner and replaced it with a region free DVD rom that I had spare for ripping and testing. The 106 burns CDs at 16 times which isn't too bad as I don't burn CDs that often.

Gary.

13. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine arrived yesterday, set it to master, my Liteon to slave, booted up and hey presto, XP just accepted it. Works fins.

Just backing up a DVD now.

Have run off a few CR-r as well.

Great burner

14. Max

Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have any of you with the a06 been able to get it working with InCD or any other packet writing software?

Using the latest version of InCD4 it won't format a DVD+RW, it says the disk is 'incompatable or damaged', yet the same disk works fine when used with Nero.

Any suggestions?