Pioneer DVD575 - sound problems, help required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark F, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Any help and comments would be much appreciated.

I sat down to watch Layer Cake tonight on my 575. Disc played fine but right from the off the sound was breacking up. Not particularly bad but noticable and enough to spoil the movie. I tried a couple of tried and tested other discs and got the same effect.

I then checked my optical digital cable (a £40 Chord Company Optichord) was properly connected at both the DVD end and the receiver end. Whilst pushing the cable into my 575 all proper sound was lost - all I got was some very high pitched crackling and hissing for a few seconds followed by the sound going completely.

My 575 is still outputting sound via Scart. My receiver (Arcam AVR300) seems to be working ok - eg CDs play ok from my separate CD player, sound fed directly from my tv all ok. However, it appears not to be receiving a digital signal from the 575. In the absence of having another digital interconnect to do some further tests I guess the problem could be one of:

1. My optical digital interconnect having gone belly up (it's about 3 years old). Is this possible? Do they eventually "go"?

2. The optical digital output on my 575 failing. Does this sound reasonable given that it's still outputing sound via SCART?

3. The digital input on my receiver failing.

Any comments, suggestions and experiences gratefully received before I borrow another cable to try or return my 575.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I always use digital coax rather than optical and have never had any issues...PJ

3. Mrhappy37

Mrhappy37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Have you checked the ends of the optical lead for dirt/dust, try blowing on the optical sockets in both pieces of equpiment to clear any dust. It could also be the optical lead is worn if it has been plugged in and out many times. Is the lead kinked, crushed or otherwise damaged anywhere along its length?
    If you do need to replace the lead, I agree with PJTX on the coaxial lead. I have tried both (using audioquest leads) on the 575, and ended up using the coaxial as this was marginally better, the optical lead now sits in a drawer with many other tried and tested leads.
    Good Luck,
    Clyde.

4. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for your comments. :thumbsup:

The lead looks in good nick - no kinks and has very rarely been plugged and unplugged. I'll check for dust tonight when I get home although it looked ok yesterday.

I'll definitely go for a coxial lead next time. The current optical one was a bit of an impulse purchase with my first AV receiver as I didn't know any better.

Thanks again

Mark