1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer dvd recorders

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkybun, May 14, 2003.

1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Has anyone heard anything about the new Pioneer DVD/HDD recorders due out and when? I've been on the japanese website and there is the DVR-77h, an 80GB version and the DVR-99h a 120GB version. I'd appreciate any info as I'm looking at the DMRHS2 and would like to know if the Pioneer's are comparable. Also I believe Tosh have one also - any info?

Thanks in anticipation

Mel

2. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See July issue of Home Entertainment mag. Also has review of new Sony recorder.

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks

4. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi sparkybun,
    I'm in the same sort of position as you (wanting a Pio DVD/HDD recordr but due to the wait now looking at the panny HS2). AFAIK Pioneer were plannig on releasing a 40GB model at the start of this year but decided to scrap that idea and release two new updated models in the summer (bigger HDD and slimmer cases).

Regards,

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

don't you think it's worth the wait for the PIO since they will be bigger HDD's?

Mel

6. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I do think it is worth waiting, but the panny has just dropped in price and has the PC Card slot (which I will use). I see your point about the HDD but I will probably record 2/3 programs/film at a time then delete/burn them out to DVD-R, so the 80/120GB won't be of that much use to me (but I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool having 120GB of HDD space).;)

I'll probably go for the Pioneer if they are available by Late july.

Regards,

7. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

Yes, i have to admit the pc card slot is important to me also. what's the cheapest MR hs2 you've seen - £645 at PRC direct?

Will the PIO have a PC card slot?

cheers

Mel

8. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't think the pioneer will have a PC Card slot, but will have DVD-RW compatibility (which the panny doesn't) and the cheapest I've seen the HS2(MR) is £599 inc. del from www.digital-point.co.uk

Regards,

9. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks, that's a £50 saving!

cheers

10. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The Toshiba (RD-XS30) is due out "end of May" and has a 60GB harddrive. It's available for pre-order at Unbeatable for £525! I'm waiting and hoping it's a good one.

11. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

For your interest I found this from the Tosh Japan web site:

This was from a press release in December 2002-

Tokyo--Toshiba Corporation today launched in Japan the RD-X3, the flagship of its “RD Style” family of video recorders incorporating a hard disc drive (HDD) and DVD video recorder. The new recorder offers the largest HDD capacity in the market*1, advanced image-enhancement circuitry with progressive video scan, and Internet connectivity that supports diverse functions, including program recording by PC or mobile phone that overcomes constraints of time and place.

RD-X3 will be available in Japanese market from the end of January 2003, with an open price.

HDD and DVD-Video recorders combine the recording, time-shifting and editing capabilities of high-capacity HDD with a DVD-RAM and DVD-R recording functions. Toshiba’s HDD & DVD video recorders complement these advanced digital recording capabilities with high-resolution playback technologies, user-oriented operability, and a range of functions that add up to an unprecedented level of flexibility and utility.

The RD-X3 offers home users a 160GB HDD, the largest drive of any HDD & DVD video recorder*1, capable of recording a maximum of 208 hours*2 *3 of programming. The recorder also supports a DVD-RAM/-R drive that can record up to 12 hours of video on a 9.4GB double-sided DVD-RAM disc.

A wide range of enhancement technologies supports superb image quality. A progressive scan video circuit delivers the impressive 540 horizontal line resolution that brings out the best of DVD images, while a Ghost Reduction Tuner (GRT) assures clearer, sharper picture reproduction. Other imaging technologies include Digital Noise Reduction (DNR), a 12bit 108MHz Video Digital to Analog Converter (DAC), and D1 terminal input that enables reception of high-quality images from other tuners.

Internet connectivity is provided by a LAN (Ethernet) terminal with broadband capacity. It allows the RD-X3 to connect with an in-house LAN and the Internet, and to access the value-added functions offered by Toshiba’s original “Net de Navi” software. These include selections of programs to record through the Internet Electronic Program Guide (iEPG), including e-mail selection by a mobile phone. “Net de Navi” also supports PC-based remote control of the RD-X3 and download of titles and images that can be used to add a creative personal touch to the menu of DVD-R discs during recording. These appear on the replay display during playback of the DVD-R.

Toshiba took the initiative in combining a HDD with a DVD video recorder in April 2001, when it launched the RD-2000. This introduced the company’s defining concept of “RD Style”—the freedom to record to HDD, to edit recorded images and then to save selected programs on DVD to build a video library. The company has refined this concept with successive model introductions.
    ******The RD-XS30, an entry-level with no Internet capability, is specially designed for simple operation. It has a 60GB HDD, able to record a maximum of 78 hours of video.**********

The RD-XS40, a high-end model, integrates 120GB HDD with a 156-hour capacity, and has full Internet connectivity. The newly introduced RD-X3 rounds out the family with the most advanced HDD & DVD recorder in the series.

Combination HDD and DVD video recorders are finding wider acceptance, in parallel with the shift away from tape-based VCR to DVD. Toshiba expects this trend to accelerate, and that “RD Style” products will lead the way.

Toshiba creates innovative digital products at its Ome Operations, site of the company’s development center for advanced digital and mobile products, including PCs, cellular phones and TVs. The center supports interaction among product developers working in different areas, allowing them to draw on one another's experience and expertise, and to explore promising new products. The “RD” series is one of the fruits of the development center.

Notes: *1 For HDD & DVD video recorders as of December 4, 2002.
    *2 Image and sound quality are set at 1.4Mbps in manual mode and DD1, respectively
    *3 Up to nine hours of continuous recording is possible

Hope this is of interest

cheers

Mel

12. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi again!,

Just thought I'd throw this in:

Just been on the DVD Forum website and the spec for DVD-RAM is re-writable approx. 100,000 times and the spec. for DVD-RW is 1,000 times. I don't know if this is important to some people but the Panny/Tosh is Ram and the Pioneer is -RW.

Cheers

Mel

13. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Yes this is correct, however DVD-RW is cheaper than DVD-RAM by around 3 times at todays prices. So you get a total of 3000 rewrites on DVD-RW (3x1000) for the price of one DVD-RAM disc.

DVD-RW uses the VR mode which has built routines (the same as DVD-RAM) to ensure the same part of the disc isn't continually reused, so wear is spread out evenly over the disc. So you can get 1000 re-writes on DVD-RW and 100,000 rewrites on DVD-RAM. I mention this as those using +RW will not get anywhere near 1000 rewrites due to the fact the TOC is located in the same place of the disc, and gets a considerable bashing!

So even if you used the disc everyday and filled it completely, 3000 re-writes (based on 3 DVD-RW for the price of one DVD-RAM disc) would last you over 8 years. This will likely outlast the technology, as I doubt in 8 years time we will be using DVD recordable. The single DVD-RAM disc would last you 273 years of course.

Regards

Philip