1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer dvd recorders- quick question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Wharfman3, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Wharfman3

Wharfman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I borrowed a dvd from a friend who had just purchased a pioneer 220, so that I could check out the PQ, before deciding to take the plunge . The pictures he'd recorded where widescreen pictures but needed to be manually set on my tv so that they were 'true 'widescreen'- something my dvd/tv normally sorts out automaticaly.

I would imagine that the pioneers do this as well- but thought it wise to just check first!

Thanks in advance!

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's right, unfortunately the DVD-R standard does not allow for WSS recording. If you are using DVD-RW VR mode (not very compatible with other players) I think the WSS does get recorded. With Panasonic machines the WSS is again not recorded on DVD-R but is recorded with DVD-RAM.

3. Wharfman3

Wharfman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh-what about when you record to the hard drive? I'm glad I asked now as I would want that feature.

What about when you watch pre recorded dvd's?

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pre recorded DVDs are fine and the WSS is sent normally. I'm not sure about the HDD but I seem to remember the WSS is recorded in this case, but you'll need to check.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I asume you mean for standalone recorders only?
    I know my Panasonic E100 doesn't maintain the wss signal on DVD-Rs

This is a bigger pain than you can imagine as it also means it won't letter box on 4:3 TVs so you are left with a vertically squashed picture.

BUT....

The only way I have got round this is to go teh PC route and edit the IFO file on my PC with a piece of software called IFOEDIT.
    Works a treat, just like a commercial DVD the DVD-R will auto switch on a WSTV and letterbox on a 4:3 TV.

6. Wharfman3

Wharfman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I'm on the verge of making a purchase on the 420.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the autoformatting signal is only preserved on 'home made' DVDs (which are always in Video mode as opposed to VR mode) within the Standard Play or better recording speeds. On the Pioneer x20 HDD/DVD range this is MN19 to MN32.
    MN1 to MN18 are classed as LP so don't carry automatic formatting, but the picture is still 'widescreen' so as you found, you adjust the TV setting accordingly.

The default speed settings in the manual are:
    EP (MN1) = 360 mins a DVD
    LP (MN9) = 240 mins
    SP (MN21) = 120 mins
    Fine (MN32) = 61 mins

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, that's right, IIRC, the standard states only one aspect ratio per title. To get around this, stand-alone machines just don't record the WSS with DVD-R.