• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer DVD recorder burnt disk but disk wont play in computers

mcdon47

Standard Member
I have a three year old Pioneer DVD recorder (which was top of the range then - DVR-920H). I wanted to burn a part of the TV programme onto the disk and then play it in my laptop using digital projector for my seminars (educational purpose). However, the disk will not play in my laptop nor in my desktop. It does play in other DVD players. I did finalize the disk and have used all formats (DVD-R; DVD+R; DVD-RW; DVD+RW). I am frustrated because it is more convenient to use my laptop/digital projector when giving seminars. I would be very grateful if anyone can help.
Regards,
Peter

ramjet

Banned
having said that it wont play in your pc or laptop , it begs the question of what programs are you using to try and play it ?

power dvd ? windows media player ? what versions etc

and not only that , ignoring if it will play or not , can it be seen in my computer ?

can you explore the disk with windows explorer ? if yes , what folders and files are there ?

do other dvd,s play back on these same pc,s ?

more information is needed if you want help , as we really need to know more about the dvd structure , its folders and files , and more about the programs used to try to play it , including the os on these pc,s as well

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
As ramjet says - a computer isn't a DVD player. It is a machine which has an operating system installed on it, and that operating system allows you to load other programs which "do stuff".

If one of these programs on your computer is a DVD player (such as later versions of Windows Media Player, Power DVD, Nero Showtime etc), and if your computer has a DVD-ROM/DVD-Writer optical drive installed on it, then you should be able to use this program to act like your set-top DVD player and play back the contents of any DVDs that you own. But a computer won't just burst into life and start playing a DVD disc without first associating a program, or being told which program, to use to play back these discs.

Open your DVD playing software, point at the DVD drive on your PC where you have put the DVD disc you have burnt, and see whether it correctly shows the start menu that you see when you put the disc in any set-top DVD player.

mcdon47

Standard Member
Thank you for your replies.
It is Window Media Player but it does not say what version. My laptop is Dell XPS M1330 purchased Dec 2007 and I have always been able to view films (DVDs) on it, the same on my desktop. With the disk that have burnt, WMP started up but all I got was a black screen.
In My Computer or Windows Explorer, it is shown as 'DVD unknown' and when I click that icon I get the black screen again.
OS on both computers is Vista Home Premium.
Hope I've given you enough information and I look forward to hearing from you.
P.

ramjet

Banned
I would hazard a guess here that your working dvd disks are in video mode , and have a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder

and maybe your non-working , non-seen disk is in vr mode and not video mode

and it definitely has to be finalised on the original recorder before being used anywhere else

check if you are using video mode , if not , change to video mode , burn a new disk and try it , checking it has a VIDEO_TS folder containing vobs/bups/ifo files , and an empty AUDIO_TS folder as well

your pc is going to expect to see the same dvd structure on your burnt disks as it does on an original shop bought disk

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Are you able to do this:

- place the home-made disc into the PC's DVD drive
- open "windows explorer", look at the PC's DVD drive letter, and list the folders/files that you see on your home made DVD - or describe any error messages that occur when you try this.

mcdon47

Standard Member
Thanks, I'm almost there...
In Windows Explorer, I see 'Video_TS' and when I click that, I see several files one of which is 'VTS_O1_1.VOB which shows the picture of the beginning of the film that I want to view. When I select that.... two messages: 1. use web to find the correct program... this leads me to 'download RegCure because of bloated or corrupt windows registry'; 2. select a program from a list of installed programs, and when I do that I see 'Windows Media Player' so I select that, and it works! However, everytime I put the disk in, Windows Media Player show a black (black) screen and nothing happens. I have to go through the same process everytime (go into Windows Explorer, select 'Video_TS' then 'VTS_O1_1.VOB and the film starts. I am sure there is a way to start WMP immediately instead of having to go into Windows Explorer everytime. Many thanks for your help and I look forward to cracking the problem. :thumbsup:
PS: is it worth downloading RegCure?

ramjet

Banned
I think I would install and try a player like powerDVD , windvd , or some other dvd and video player and then see if it works ( I have never liked wmp )

at least you appear to have the correct structure

try videohelp.com for more info on this and possible tools to try , maybe vlc or some other player may work

as for the last question , it means I do not respond to being mithered by pm , members should use the forums for their questions and not contact me by pm for info just because they see me answering questions on here etc

I dont like spam emails , junk mail and unsolicited phone calls either :)

but I digress

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
By the way, what is 'NO SUPPORT BY PM, THANK YOU'?

In case you were not aware, PM in this context means Private Mail.. a method of contacting a member privately within the forum.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I think there is something corrupt with the playback instructions and/or menu - either it's being written badly by the recorder, or being read badly by the PC. The fact you can start playback of a .vob file from Explorer means that the disc is being read OK and the TOC is OK. I think, though, that, if there are >1 .vob's making up the film (which is usual), when you use this method, playback will stop when the end of the selected .vob is reached.

Hard to know how to proceed. You could, as others have suggested, try another playback software. It's quite likely that wmplayer isn't behaving. But equally, if the menu instruction set is being written corrupted, then it seems probable that won't work either.

Have you tried playback in another standalone DVD player? If not, can you do so and describe results.

mcdon47

Standard Member
Many thanks for taking your time to reply, very helpful. I tried downloading PowerDVD 28 day trial and it works! I really like it and I have ordered a PowerDVD.
Regards,
Peter

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom