1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVD Re-writer 106

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lcarter, Jan 11, 2004.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a Pioneer DVD Re-writer and can't wait for the 107 plus price will be much higher. On svp.co.uk they are doing OEM version 106 for £83.48, it comes with no box, software, cables, manual or installation screws. They offer Nero Express 6 (OEM Suite 1) CD/DVD software for £4.99 or Instant CD/DVD software (OEM) for £9.99 - okay I may be stupid but this is my first purchase of a DVD-Re-writer - what is OEM? Bigpockets are doing similar price but they also are doing a Pioneer A06 for £109.99 - what is the difference between 106 and the A06. I have a Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder and it records perfect with Datasafe/Datawrite DVD-R. The Pioneer/Panasonic both get good reviews for the same media, this is why I think the Pioneer is the best choice for me. I would have thought all DVD Re-writers should come with cables, manual and screws.
    Sorry this is long winded but want to get the right machine.
    If anyone has any advice and where else I can buy (with all the bits) it would be much appreciated.:hiya:

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    106 and A06 are the same drives exept that A06 is the retail version which will come with a nice manual a couple of screws and cable etc. Buy the 106 and you can download the software form the likes of http://www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.php there is plenty of software readily available. Try and get a 106 D as opposed to 106 RD as the D version is a'proper' Pioneer version and is the only one that is officialy supported by plenty firmware upgrades...conversion firmware is available for other oem drives but try and get the right one to start with. It's a great drive.

3. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Txs Lynx
    When I find a 106D should it come with the manual and the fixing screws as I am a novice and not sure how to fix without.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    No it will not have screws. They can be picked up for next to nothing (ask nicely in a computer shop). If you are replacing an existing drive you can use the screws and audio cable from that one. It will come with a manual but it's very basic and tbh you won't find it to be of much help.

I got mine from http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/Productview.htm?quicklinx=2NB5 . Monitor the price as it's changeable.

5. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Txs for your quick reply Lynx, now know what to do, good bit of advice from you to look for the 106D, just found it on proteconline for £84.60 - so will order from them, an added bonus is they do it in black to match my machine. This is the first posting I have done and will definitely do more - really appreciate your help.

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    I was looking at this also.
    But the 8x NEC dvd writer has just appeared on the scene for under £100 so I'm confused now !!!