1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lennyz, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does anyone know anything about the new Pioneer player due out soon?

It was touted in WHFI last month and down as DV565A £249 retail, due out in August.

It is going to be a universal SACD and DVD-A machine. I just want to know whether it will do prog scan on Pal and NTSC to hook up to my MXE? Doubt it mind but you never know....:D

Lennyz

2. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Unless there's a new budget version coming out, it's a Pioneer 656A, and it's been out a while now. Check out www.techtronics.com for a multiregion chipped version for £340 (rrp £400).
    There's also a higher spec model, the 757A which has Firewire.

They both support DVD/DVD-A/CD/SACD/MP3 and all (re)recordables. Only thing I've not got it to play is jpeg photo discs, although it will play VCD's made on my Mac using iPhoto/Quicktime.

By the way, it's superb.

3. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Davidwaton,

I believe it is a new budget model and I am interested in whereabouts it fits in with the current Pioneer range..Maybe it is simply set to replace the 656A?

I have considered the 656 but I am interested in trying a unit with Prog scan on my plasma. I am also looking at dvd-a and sacd compatibility.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Lenny,

You won't go wrong with a 757 - an excellent machine. So much more reliable than a Denon. :smoke: I'm sure your MXE will appreciate it's progressive scan capabilities including PAL shortly, rather than using the built-in deinterlacer.

Steve

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks all,

Yea Denon's scare me.....:eek: I keep reading posts about a few models and people keep finding problems with playback. Weird really. They look cool though and seem to be built like tanks.

I must admit to leaning towards the 757 but I am open to suggestions.

Lennyz

6. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Lennyz,

I've got a Denon 3800 and I think I'm one of the lucky few who had no problems. It's a great player but I wish it had S.A.C.D like the new Denon 2900 or Pioneer 757Ai, for the money I would go for the Pioneer 757Ai. You can pick one up for around £650.00 or less. I've been thinking of getting one myself and matching it with the Pioneer VSX-D2011-S A/V Receiver. :smashin:

ASH1

7. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks ASH1,

Yea I think there is probably loads of happy Denon owners out there. It is only when you start to read posts from people on here that it sets alarm bells off. You will always get to hear people with problems posting more than satisfied customers.

So far though I have not read any bad reports about the 757ai........that is not to say that no-one will post a bad report now I have said that:rolleyes:

I have yet to hear any SACD or DVD-A but I s'pose it is worth getting a machine that will play them rather than wish I had at a later date.

Cheers

Lennyz

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Lennyz,

Happy shopping. :)

ASH1