Pioneer DVD HDMI settings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by banyantree, Sep 8, 2004.

1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Pioneer DV-969avi (singapore model) , Pioneer pdp-434hde, Yamaha RXV795RDS and Mission Cinema 7 speakers.

I am having problems with the HDMI settings between the Plasma and the DVD player.
    Some of my DVD's will not play resulting in a white screen full of noise. This happens when i first load the disc or during the movie itself.
    Pioneer tell me the HDMI settings are too high. They are currently at 720p and changing them to 420p results in a poor quality picture.
    Can anybody help me as to what these settings should be and what gives me the best picture?
    Why will the player play some of the film at 720p then give me no picture mid way through?
    Do i have a faulty player or HDMI cable?
    Do I need to change the HDMI settings for different discs and why is there not an automatic setting?

Im considering upgrading the amp to a Pioneer ax5i. Would this help?

appreciate any assistance.

THANKS

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What Pioneer of course won't tell you is they're having issues with this dvd player- the video processor sends out 6 lines or so less, which causes the hiccups for many plasmas- like my Panasonic.
    Same prob as you here but only in PAL 576p.
    Since P. won't do anything about it I ordered a Denon 3910 and will flog the 868 as soon as the Denon arrives.
    Last product from Pioneer I've ever bought.
    Their support sucks big time. :thumbsdow
    Barend

3. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A white screen full of noise actually sounds like a failure of the HDCP copy protection handshaking, so that you are seeing the encrypted content which just looks like random noise. That would point to a firmware problem in the player, the plasma or both.

4. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The 868 only outputs 50 hz or this can be changed.

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    David, judging by the symptoms and the fact that you said it takes 5 minutes for a disc to play (in your email) then it sounds to me like the player itself is FUBAR.
    Get it replaced under warranty.