Pioneer DVD-575A Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by E1w00dB1ue5, Mar 1, 2005.

1. E1w00dB1ue5

E1w00dB1ue5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just upgraded my ageing, albeit fantastic, Pioneer 525 and i have to say that it is great and for a multi region DVD player delivered next day for £109.99 i can't complain.

Having this new toy i decided to purchase a couple of DVD-Audio DVD's, all excited when they arrived!!!

Obviously my Yamaha RX-V530RDS is unable to cope with DVD-Audio so i decided To use the built in decoder and the 6 channel input on the amp.

When i did this i receive very little base, it is there just very low level! for testing purpose i even tried a DVD Video with the same result!

Anyone any ideas why or what could cause this???

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I have the 525 (yes it's a great player!) and recently bought the 575 (another great player!) and I tried out SACD/DVD-A via the 6ch into my Yam DSP-A5. And I also thought "what no bass?!". Since then I've bought the BKXLS200 sub, and it's a completely different story now, lots of low end extension....PJ

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    How are your speakers set up in the 575 menu? ie small or large?
    What are your speaker settings in your amp?

Phil

4. E1w00dB1ue5

E1w00dB1ue5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philly112, all set to small.

PJTX100, thanks, i'll check ti out! Is the sub connected to your amp?

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Try setting the speakers in the 575 to large. I found that doing this increased the bass no end.
    (this won't affect movies as you will be using the digital output for these, and so the speakers will be managed by the amp)

Let me know if this changes anything!

Phil

6. E1w00dB1ue5

E1w00dB1ue5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philly112,

The speakers are set as small, tried large but it makes little perceivable difference.

My sub is powered so i connected it direct to the DVD player and got base so i'm farely sure it's the Yamamha Amp!!!

7. E1w00dB1ue5

E1w00dB1ue5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    You are having this problems because the Pioneer 575 does not have the proper speaker management required to get DVD-A and SACD set up right. It does not have the ability to set independent speaker levels or distances. Its a good DVD player for the money but for multi-channel music its a complete pile of rubbish.

9. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Crustyloafer, that's not entirely correct - the 575A does have speaker distance adjustments in the setup menu (although IIRC they might not be completely independent, the fronts might only be adjustable as a pair for example). As for volume adjustment, I can't recall, but I don't believe it has this.

My avr has a setting for upping the low frequency when input from a DVD-Audio, as opposed to DVD-Video, - could this perhaps be why the bass is 'missing', i.e. if the LFE channel is lower on multi-channel music and isn't being taken into account in the receiver settings?

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    It does have a degree of speaker management, you can set distances, and combine that with the speaker management available on most AV amps (eg speaker levels) there's a fair amount of flexibility in the setup.

I've been impressed with both SACD and DVD-A from the 575. To call it a complete pile of rubbish is... well, a complete pile of rubbish!
    ...PJ

11. E1w00dB1ue5

E1w00dB1ue5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either way the pairing of my amp and the 575 isn't going to work, now which amp shall i buy...