Pioneer DVD-350 problem

R

RichGC

Hey all,
I finally got a new DVD player for christmas the Pioneer DV-350S.
My problem is that I saw a review of this player and was told the picture was excellent.
Now I don't have much experience with DVD players so please tell me what is excellent. Star Wars Episode 2 to me looks quite bad, there is a lot of shimmering on white lines in the film.
Also in films like Saving Private Ryan I notice some grain the background. Im using an RGB Scart Lead connected to my budget BUSH 2874NTX TV. I am beginning to wonder if it is the TV or DVD player as I have had several DVD players before so I don't know if its the TV that is rubbish. We havea very old 28" 4:3 Toshiba TV downstairs which as far as I can tell doesnt support RGB as when using it the image goes weird, you can make it out but its still kind of fuzzy.
I might be expecting too much from a budget player but I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou.

Hi Rich,

I wouldn't be too worried about the grainy appearance to the DVD. The film was shot this way to give an "authentic" documentary film-look to it. I haven't seen SWEII, but I know that it was shot on HD video, not normal 35mm film. This may account for your shimmering lines. Just a thought...

Steve

Thanks m8, I think maybe I was being picky and expecting to much from a budget DVD player, I am going to try my player on the old downstairs TV and my mums newish 14" :D to see if it makes a difference. Although I think the 14" will look good as you can't see any detail its so small :p

I recall the bush tv reviews a while back..... the sort of thing you descrbe sounds like the tv's fault. Try your old tosh with even s-video..... i did this when i first got my first dvd player and it wasnt half bad....... i think the quality of budget players is under estimated, they are quite capable of a visual feat to new eyes.

ad

Ok cheers, I will try the DVD player on the better TV's tommorow as ive just finished work and am knackered :p

Bought 2 of these players for relatives christmas pressies.
Set them up using scarts (rgb) no problems whatsoever,excellent
picture quality. Like others have suggested would say it's a Tv/movie problem.
regards,
G.M.

Out of curiosity what kind of Scart Lead are you using? ATM I am using a cheap one no gold plating or anything. I was thinking of getting a Hitachi gold plated one tommorow for £14.99. Do you think that might be the problem? If not please tell me as I don't really want to spend £14.99 for nothing, I'm only 17 :p

Just a quick update I quickly went downstairs to test the player on our 28" Tosh (3:10am!!!) and it seems to be on there as well although the Tosh is so old it doesn't support RGB :s. I can't see it being the player to be honest, ya see I have had bad luck with players my PS2 would hardly run any DVD's, my first proper DVD player was a Hitachi which had very bad blocking, my second was a cheap Alba which was ok but then started flickering for some reason so had to be returned and now I find it hard to believe its the player.
I am really wondering if it is the Scart Lead and hope to have an answer before I need to go into town tommorow.

Yeah, id check your connections...... something sounds not right.

ad

Before you rush off to change your scart lead Rich, have you checked that your dvd player is set to output RGB in it's menu setting, and that your tv can accept an RGB signal?

If so, your cheap scart lead might not be fully wired, and a more expensive fully wired scart may make a difference.

tom

By the way If you can locate a B&Q warehouse near you, they usually stock fully wired gold plated scarts for less than half the price you quoted.

I bought one for my spare dvd player and via RGB the picture is excellent.

tom

heh Damn I saw that last post a bit late :p I went into town today and bought a gold plated one for £15.99 but it's a ribbon so it saves a bit of space :) Ive only had a chance to test it on Shallow Hal and Zoolander so not the most demanding movies but will test it on some better examples later.
I will report back just to let you guys know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom