Question Pioneer DVD-2910 Aspect Ratio Problem

sbeck201

Standard Member
When viewing certain DVDs the aspect ratio is incorrect - these are anamorphic 16x9 discs. The menus display correctly, filling the TV screen, but the film image is squashed and the black bar top and bottom is too big about making the picture flattened. The film ratio is 2.35:1 but displays near to 3:1. It doesn't affect every DVD but it seems to be only Region 1 discs (so far!). The problem occurs whether the player is connected via the A/V amp or directly to the TV, indicating the problem lies with player rather than the Amp which I originally thought. I've tried various menu settings but nothing solves the problem. Unfortunately my Blu-Ray player is not region free and I don't want to mess around with it.

Cheers,
Steven

gibbsy

Do you mean a Denon DVD-2910? The only Pioneer I can find with that number is a DVD writer. The player can only be set to 16x9 which would be the correct aspect ratio for the player connected to a modern TV. I suspect it's the TV that has to be investigated under the picture settings. Some TVs have dropped a lot of the settings or have them buried away in the set up menu.

sbeck201

Standard Member
Yes, sorry. I meant the Denon DVD-2910.
I don't think it's the TV. Most DVDs and all the Blu-Rays play with the correct aspect ratio, it's only a few DVDs that have this problem, and so far only Region 1 discs. The menus are displayed in the correct ratio and it's the actual film that exhibits the problem. I've played around the menu settings but nothing helps. The main reason I still use the Denon is because of the Region 1 capability (not going to investigate making the Blu-Ray player multi-region).

I only recently made the Denon multi-region (for a second time) after a software update a couple of years ago negated the multi-region capability but my previous Blu-Ray player was multi-region.

Maybe just got live with not being able to watch some of my discs (I'd forgotten how many Region 1 DVDs I'd bought over the years).

Steven

gibbsy

I do have one region free DVD of a James Taylor concert that is NTSC and displays exactly the same problems as you are having. My old Panny plasma had a setting that I could use but the current OLED doesn't. I had the 2910 and was/is a very good player but I never made it region free. It's not so bad with a concert as you just enjoy the music and a fat JT running across the stage but would ruin a film.

Why not buy a cheapo BR player for Region 1 and hack it then you could double dip I suppose.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
When viewing certain DVDs the aspect ratio is incorrect - these are anamorphic 16x9 discs. The menus display correctly, filling the TV screen, but the film image is squashed and the black bar top and bottom is too big about making the picture flattened. The film ratio is 2.35:1 but displays near to 3:1. It doesn't affect every DVD but it seems to be only Region 1 discs (so far!). The problem occurs whether the player is connected via the A/V amp or directly to the TV, indicating the problem lies with player rather than the Amp which I originally thought. I've tried various menu settings but nothing solves the problem. Unfortunately my Blu-Ray player is not region free and I don't want to mess around with it.

Cheers,
Steven
It may possibly be something to do with R1 NTSC DVDs being 720x480 vs 720x576 for PAL. Check if the player has TV Type set to Multi.

sbeck201

Standard Member
It may possibly be something to do with R1 NTSC DVDs being 720x480 vs 720x576 for PAL. Check if the player has TV Type set to Multi.
Yes, the setting is Multi.

I've decided to re-connect my previous Blu-Ray player, which is also multi-region for DVD, and after a quick test it played the Region 1 DVD perfectly. I'd replaced this player with a 4K Blu-Ray player after it had occasionally displayed some faults itself (not having much luck with technology!!).

Thanks for all the responses.

Steven

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom