1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV99 - Can you put me off it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mobione, Dec 29, 2003.

1. mobione

mobione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading these threads for a few weeks now. Looking for an all in one system to play music and watch home cinema. I have a big living room but don't want a whole load of av equipment.
    The dv99 seems, on the face of it, to offer the best of both worlds. I want DVDa and SACD (My dad bought betamax and it still hurts !!)), so that rules out a Sony system.

Anyone got one and disappointed? Anyone feel strongly one way or another?

I am watching Kelkoo - once the price drops below £400 incl VAT I'm going to buy one unless someone talks me out of it.:nono:

2. PIGGINPIG5

PIGGINPIG5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I purchased this system for my husband for xmas. It is absolutely awesome, the sound and visuals are absolutely amazing both CDs and DVDs, TV and RADIO. Switch the lights off and close the curtains and you will truely believe you are in the cinema. You can alter everything on it and make it your own (i.e. surround mode, each speaker level, bass level, etc, etc, etc) and on top of all this, it looks fantastic too. I purchased mine from homecinemaheaven.com. I had been watching the prices on pricerunner.com and this system slowly came down in price in Nov 03' with everyone following suit. This local company (Wakefield) suddenly reduced their price to match the cheapest (£429 - now gone up to £449!!) so figured it would be more convenient to purchase from them (you never know!). Ordering and delivery really efficient.

Just one minor problem (see my other posting of yesterday) but I tried the video composite cable last night and everything now comes through (although I do have this ugly yellow wire sticking out of the VIDEO IN socket at the front of my TV which I am hoping I can replace with some kind of scart. !!:mad: If anyone has the answer, please can you let me know.

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers :smashin:

3. mobione

mobione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments wifee. I am getting sky+ in 3 weeks (refurb deal for £99 + £1) - see other thread in sky+ forum. I am concerned by your problems with the sky box.
    Why can't you use the scart plug?

4. PIGGINPIG5

PIGGINPIG5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now, I managed to grab 1/2 hour on Monday night to have another fiddle with the leads (being convinced it was something I had done wrong !). Indeed, I discovered I had not plugged the video composite (what I think it is) into the video in on my tele. HIP-HIP-HURRAAAYYYY !!!!! I have now got SKY on my AV1 button, PS2 on my AV2 and NSDV99 on AV3 button. Having said this, I now have this ugly wire sticking out from the front of my tele's VIDEO IN socket (don't have one at the back, unless I can convert VIDEO OUTS with a scart !!!???). I am going to have another fiddle around and now try plugging the SKY directly back into tele (NSDV + VCR taking 2 scarts up at the minute) and the NSDV directly into tele with another scart - hopefully this might work now I have plugged the video composite wire in (.....do I really know what I am talking about ??!!), of course in order to do this I am going to purchase a scart extension lead so I can have PS2 plugged in at the same time. Wish me luck and if anyone has any better solutions, please offer some much needed advice. Really, don't worry unduly, I believe this bears no down fall on the system itself and I am convinced if I knew what I was doing it wouldn't be a problem. Ofcourse, by the time you purchase yours I will be an expert here to advise you !!!

These things are sent to try us !!!!!!!!!!:smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

5. mobione

mobione

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £417 is still the best price I can find on kelkoo: From http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC....out the colour. Pearl White! Does it look ok?

6. PIGGINPIG5

PIGGINPIG5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, I will have a look at that site, sounds interesting. Yes -- the colour! Now, I did debate about this for a number of weeks (I am sure you can imagine) and as far as I was concerned it was the only thing that let it down. Probably, if it wasn't for the SACD/DVD-A I maybe wouldn't have gone for it, but, to my great delight - I do actually love the look of the system now it is sat under my tele. It is very very mod, very minimalist and does indeed look very, very cool.

I think we get too used to seeing these sleek shiny silver things and turn our nose up at diversions from that, but honestly it is very cool, I am sure you will like it - even the speakers too and the sub - nice !!!! (Pearl white ?! - on close scrutiny I guess it is actually a 'sparkerley' very pale silver/white, also I have my PS2 on top (probably not so cool !!) so it won't pick up the dust as much !! )

Good price on Kelkoo too !!

:D :smashin: