1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer dv717 problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by matmum, Jun 5, 2004.

1. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have recently been having some problems viewing some dvds with my pioneer dvd player - i have tested the dvds on other players and they seem to play fine- the errors that have been occuring are blocky segments (in the same place each time) and also freezing. i just wondered if the player can be serviced or some modification added (i.e. a cooling fan) - or trying something simple that might cure the problem.

also does anyone know what connection i should for my dvd player and television. i have got a loewe acconda and have been reading about component connections (being an improvement scart) at the moment i connect the player with a cinemaquest scart using rgb mode. i am not sure if my dvd player is too old to take advantage of progressive scan, as i think it supports ntsc but not pal, however i havent really got a clue as i am not at all technically minded.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers :)

2. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have just upgraded my 717 to a denon 2200. Never had a problem with my 717 but it doesn't have component outputs which you need for progressive scan - that's why I upgraded mine. What sort of display are you feeding the dvd player to ? If its just a bog standard TV that doesn't have component inputs then you won't see much improvement in upgrading your dvd player. The 717 is still a quality player. On the other hand if you have a plasma/proj you will benefit from upgrading to a prog scan model.

I have noticed a big improvement in both picture and sound quality with the denon - if you do need prog scan and can afford it I would upgrade to a new dvd player.

3. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry - I didn't read your post completely - I see you have a Loewe TV - I don't know whether it has component connections but if it has then I would be tempted to upgrade the dvd player. Perhaps you could demo a prog scan dvd player on a Loewe ?

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I too have a DV-717 and have only twice had the same problems you're experiencing - one was with the Zorro DVD, the other with a copied DVD - the latter didn't bother me as I'm not into copied DVD's anyway - I only tried it once to see if the 717 could handle such disks.

Apart from that, I have experienced no other problems - the machine has been excellent over the four or five years I have owned it.

Cheers,

Martin.