Pioneer DV668AV for use as CD Player only

DJM1976

Hi all,

For the past week I have been using a Samsung BD6500 as a CD transport connected to my Yamaha Musiccast RN303D via optical but unfortunately the sound isn’t that good. I was looking in some secondhand shops today and noticed that one was selling a Pioneer DV668 at a reasonable price of £50 with 6 months warranty.

Now I know the above unit is really old now and while it is also a DVD player, I was wondering how good the sound is via RCA and if it is likely to be better than my current player ?.

Many thanks

gibbsy

It's going to be around 14 years old but you will have the comfort of that six month warranty and Pioneer do build some pretty robust and reliable units. Will it sound better than the Samsung, I certainly hope so as Samsung have never been that good and cheaply made. Build quality will play a part in the analogue domain.

DJM1976

It's going to be around 14 years old but you will have the comfort of that six month warranty and Pioneer do build some pretty robust and reliable units. Will it sound better than the Samsung, I certainly hope so as Samsung have never been that good and cheaply made. Build quality will play a part in the analogue domain.
Thank you very much for that reply, I cannot remember the last time I owned a Pioneer product. Unfortunately unless I spend hundreds for a more recent product, the budget is limited to either a ancient robust DVD player like a Pioneer or Denon 3910 etc, or a recent(ish) Bluray player like Oppo or Sony with RCA connections Instead of dual HDMI.

gibbsy

Oppo players will certainly be more expensive than those from Pioneer or Denon. I have a Pioneer LX500 and it is built like a tank. Prior to that I had the LX58 player and again great build quality. The early Denon DVD players again have great build quality, I had a DVD 2910. Having owned players from both Pioneer and Denon I have to say that I preferred the sound of the Pioneers.

If you use any of them with a modern DAC then they are going to sound just as good. As long as the lazer and disc mechanism is playing well then, as a transport, they will sound as good as their modern counterparts.

Don't want to sound flippant but £50 is not a lot of money to throw at a quality player.

DJM1976

Oppo players will certainly be more expensive than those from Pioneer or Denon. I have a Pioneer LX500 and it is built like a tank. Prior to that I had the LX58 player and again great build quality. The early Denon DVD players again have great build quality, I had a DVD 2910. Having owned players from both Pioneer and Denon I have to say that I preferred the sound of the Pioneers.

If you use any of them with a modern DAC then they are going to sound just as good. As long as the lazer and disc mechanism is playing well then, as a transport, they will sound as good as their modern counterparts.

Don't want to sound flippant but £50 is not a lot of money to throw at a quality player.
Yes I have seen prices of some Oppo players but was going by the Bluray players that are more within price reach. I understand what you are saying with the DAC, my Sony Turntable sounds absolutely beautiful with it’s built in DAC when plugged into the Musiccast. It is just a shame that the Samsung isn’t as kind without a DAC built into it.

No you don’t sound Flippant at all, I have seen the same player on EBay for more than double what the shop is selling it for, so I could well be getting a major bargain for £50.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom