Pioneer DV575a Audio Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hi2shy, Mar 13, 2006.

1. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I just upgraded my Pioneer DV525 to the DV575a as I've heard good things about this player.

The problem I'm having is getting the audio on my movies to output in 5.1 or DTS. Neither is working and I'm stuck.

Initially, I thought I'd sussed it as I had not set the audio to output in 5.1 under initial settings, speakers. Also, I have set it as follows:

Digital Out is On
    DTS Out is DTS
    Linear PCM Out is Down Sample On
    MPEG Out is MPEG > PCM
    Audio Output Mode is 5.1 channel.

My Amp is the Yamaha DSP-AX750se

Can anyone help?

2. gerryman62

gerryman62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    can anyone tell me if denon 1920 plays dvd rom(ps im new to this)

3. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    anyone?

4. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Your setting seem to be ok on the 575 - may be also check that Dolby Digital out is set to Dolby Digital.
    For the test turn downsampling off (Linear PCM & MPEG)
    Are you sure your receiver is still configured correctly (not forced into PCM and that inputs have been properly assigned?)

5. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ghislain - I haven't changed any of the settings on my amp. It worked fine with the old DV525, and even some discs have worked on the new DV575a. It seems like no disc is working now.

Even when I press the audio button on the remote, it shows on screen as 2ch audio. I may try a few more discs, but it shouldn't be like this!!

6. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your player settings look fine but we first need to establish a few basic details.

How are you connecting from player to amp ?
    Is it via the players 5.1 out jacks, 2CH out jacks or via opto/ co-ax ? and what are you connecting into on the amp ?

7. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wibble - I am connecting to the digital input on the amp via coax digital output on the dvd player. I have also tried the optical cable as well, into the optical digital input on the amp.

8. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    hi2shy,

Can you easily switch back to your other DVD player?
    If this works correctly, any particular receiver settings and/or cabling issues can be ruled out.
    I would then look as if your new unit is faulty.

If you can't, can you tell us what your receiver indicates (PCM?) when it receives a signal from the DVD player?
    Also, what is the firmware version of your player?
    Some very good info and firmware can be found here:
    http://www.pioneer.wassberg.info/english/Pioneer_DV-575A_FAQ.php

9. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info Ghislain - I tried my old one and it has the same problems. I also swapped cables and that has no effect either.

Funny thing is, some movies DO work but in DTS mode only!! These movies work in either DVD player but 5.1 only comes out of the front speakers and sub!!

On the DV575a, even DTS mode is displayed as 2.1ch when I press the audio button, even though some films come out as 5.1!! Firmware is 2.09. The Amp is set to "Auto" and it show Dolby Digital on the front panel.

I am beginning to think it maybe the amp, which is now a month over the year's warranty!! Typical!!

I am just looking to see if there are any settings on the DSP-AX750SE that I may need to alter.

10. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I have the 575 hooked up to the 750se and this has happened to me, twice. It was the amp and I don't know what happened but it is an audio mode selected from the remote. I went for a factory reset of the amp and then reset all the configurations and it was fine. The secound time I also lost video feed which was very scary. The wife had been fighting with the daughter over ownership of the remote.

11. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Darkstar_Surfer - I have just done the factory reset (straight + standby) but I didn't change any configurations. What configurations did you change, as the factory reset on its own did nothing.

12. rickardl

rickardl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hmm, look closer. It should say "3/2.1CH"... which is 3 front speakers,
    2 surrounds and 1 sub.

13. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rickardl - thanks for that info mate!! I was really wondering why it says that!! :thumbsup:

My other Pioneer would just say 5.1 or DTS, so naturally I thought there was something wrong here!! :oops:

Any ideas why I would not get any sound from the rear speakers?

14. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another way round this type of problem - you could use the onboard DD/DTS processing of the 575a and send the audio through its analogue 5.1 outputs to the analogue 5.1 inputs on your amp - thats if your amp has that option of course.

You will need 3 decent sets of phono leads to do it properly though.

15. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Media_Man - why just 3 sets of phono leads? Is that using L/R phono cables as opposed to just the single phono cables?

Would the audio quality be worse using the dvd players processing rather than the amp's?

16. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By 3 sets i mean 3 pairs (giving 6 phono connections in total for the 5.1 outputs).

By all accounts the audio processing in the 575 is very good. Give it a try and i dont think you will be disappointed. I recommended it mainly though as it will bypass the trouble you seem to be having with the digital input of your amp.

17. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, I'll give it a go with the basic phono cables that I have and if it works well, I can invest in a better set.

18. wibble

wibble
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right. Next step

Just had a thought here. You say later in this thread that sometimes you do get sound via the rear speakers but not always. Several things spring to mind. You might be hearing DD/DTS 6.1 rear back sound when you replay so encoded dvd's. Would explain the above.

How to check this :

1) check your speaker connections. Make sure you have connected the rears to rear surround terminals NOT back surrounds.
    2) When replaying dvd's look at the amps onboard decoding status. If you have 5.1 decoding you should see FL C FR RR RL & SW lit up. Are you getting only 2.1 sound at this point ? if you see FL C FR RR RL LB RB & SW are you hearing 5.1 sound.

3) Check your amp sound settings & see if you have set rear surrounds on , back surrounds to off and presence speakers to off.

4) Run the inbuilt amps speaker level adjustment on manual. If you have set your speakers correctly it should cycle throu FL C FR RL RR & SW with the down arrow on your remote and you should here pink noise from each speaker as you do this.

5) Check your input assignments. I have mine set to AUTO. Make sure yours is not set on ANALOUGE. The AUTO setting will sense the presence of a DD/DTS data stream on the input and use that in preference to any other input. ANALOUGE will only use the 2.0 input jacks. Did you connect these up too from the 575 i.e. the seperate 2.0 output NOT the 5.1 L/R outs

Hope this makes sense & helps

19. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wibble - Thanks for this. Can't wait to get home and check!!

1. I will need to check what I have connected the rear speakers to.

2. I will also need to check what displays are coming up on the amp.

3. I will check this setting also.

4. I have done this and the sound does come through the rear speakers.

5. I have set it to auto and also DTS. I have left it on auto for most of my tests. I have only connected the coax digital and I tested the optical digital too.

20. hi2shy

hi2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wibble - Can't thank you enough!! It was the speaker connections!! :thumbsup:

Connected to the rear surrounds and Voila!! The speakers are working OK on all the DVD's!!

Thanks again!! :D

21. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    sorry for not getting back sooner and glad you have sorted it all. By configuration I meant the auto speaker set up which if you sit and listen through you can spot silly connection mistakes like left and right swaped, etc.