Pioneer DV575 - Want play Region 1 DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NJT, Dec 24, 2004.

1. NJT

NJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer DV575 - Want Play Region 1 DVDs undefined
    I have just bought the Pioneer DV575 from Richer sounds today, however it only seems to play region 2 DVD's although it is suppose to be multi region. Do I need to unlock it first?

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,718
    As far as I know, RS only supply MR versions of the 575. Mine certainly played R1 straight out of the box. Sounds like you've just been unlucky & found one that's slipped through the net. I'm sure RS will either replace it or make it MR without any problem.

Just had a look at the box mine came in. There's a big yellow sticker on the box proclaiming Multi Region.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You need to take it back and ask them to make it multi-region if you have paid for the multi-region model (generally £10/£20 more than the R2 model).

They will insert a CD which flashes the player firmware. It takes around 30 seconds to do.

Could you tell if the box had been previously opened when you got it home? If not, it'll R2 only. I bought a DVR-220 recently and although it was supposed to be multi-region they box had not been opened. They apologised and did it there and then in the shop.

4. NJT

NJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, sounds like I have been unlucky. The box does say mutli-region, however, does not appear to have been previously opened. Back to RS next week.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,718
    You have to look very carefully for signs of opening as they're getting quite good at it now. The usual method is to slit the sellotape on the bottom of the box with a sharp knife & then re-seal with sellotape of the same size. However having said that, it's now kind of irrelevant!

If it's a pain getting it back to RS it may be worth asking them to send you a copy of the unlocking disk - they can only say no....

6. Lek

Lek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternatively, use the programmable remote hack as described on the VideoHelp.com forums to make it code-free yourself. I've used a Palm V to modify my Pioneer DV-470, but the code is identical for all newer Pioneer players. You'll also find methods for using a PocketPC, laptop with IrDA port or even a Linux system.

You do not need to upgrade the firmware for this.

IMHO, shops charging tens of pounds/euros for making a player code-free, when all it takes is a single remote code, are just a rip-off. I can understand people charging for firmware chip replacements or module installation, but just tapping a button on a PDA should be done for free...

7. NJT

NJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I wait till Monday and let RS do it, but thanks again..... Season wishes