1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV444S - poor picture

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stanleyntl, Dec 26, 2004.

1. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The picture on my Pioneer DV444 lacks definition and resolution, worse than even a std composite BBC broadcast - e.g. Harry Potter/Philosopher's stone on XMAS day.
    I'm using svideo via scart, my SKY is using the only RGB scart* on the Sony KV32FX60 (100hz) w/screen set.
    However even the PAL output of the SKY or terrestrial is looking better than the player!
    I'm using an OFC scart (Tandy) with metal bodied plugs/gold plating - same cable for VCR/SKY which give a good picture.

Is this a cable quality issue? Would it be better to use the svideo socket (see above*)?

Or would a change of player help? Would the current DV470 or DV575 be an improvement?

Darren

2. leewiltshire666

leewiltshire666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried the dvd player on the RGB scart? If it is alright on that then the problem isn't the player.

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Unless there is a fault, it isn't the DVD. I had a DV444 and it gave an excellent picture, as good a picture as players that were much more expensive. I don't think that the 470 or 575 would be noticeably better except on a very large screen.

I would echo the suggestion to run the dvd on RGB and SKY on s-video, but if you can't, make sure that:

1. The dvd output is set for s-video and not composite.
    2. The scart cable is fully wired.
    3. The scart input on the TV is set up to receive s-video.

By all means use the separate s-video cable but as before make sure that dvd output and tv input are set up for s-video and because the s-video lead carries no sound, you will need separate sound leads between DVD and tv (if you do not use an av-amp).

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I don't know your specific dvd player and how it works but most dvd players don't provide s-video via scart they only provide it via a seperate s-video minidin socket. If you connect your dvd player via scart it probably is only providing composite. Composite is of course the lowest quality output possible from this dvd player and from your description it does sound like thats what your getting. You need a s-video+2 phono lead to scart plug type lead.

Also remember though that most skyboxes have RGB passthrough so you can connect a dvd player to the skybox and get RGB that way. However this would mean that when you play back dvds you can't record from sky unless you have sky+. Also if you normally connect a vcr to your skybox via its second scart socket this will now be used by the dvd player meaning you'll have to tape via RF/aerial.

You can make a 3 way scart lead that has an output scart plug and input scart plug and the scart plug that goes into the skybox but this makes it more complicated.