1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV444

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mikey, Jan 14, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying this, has anyone else out there got one?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Loads of us - good machine

3. neily

neily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy this model from Empire Direct (UK) who are selling this for £160, but can I make it multiregion (including RCE compatible by the remote hack I have found:

1 Turn on your DVD player without a disc
    2 Press "setup"
    3 Press "right Arrow" until "general" is selected
    4 Press "down arow" once
    5 Press "display"
    6 Press "condition Memory"
    7 Press "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" or "6" for the Region
    9 Press "setup"
    After this the unit is ready to play the selected region.)

Please can anyone tell me if they have tried this, and if it works. Thanks

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    AFAIK, the hack you describe is only valid on Pioneer players that have been chipped. It's the standard manual select process for current model chipped Pioneers. I don't believe it will work on an out-of-the-box R2 player. Unless Empire tell you different, I doubt theirs is chipped. Plenty of places will sell you a ready-chipped one. Sevenoaks Sound & Vision for one.

5. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This player does not require chipping.

To make it multiregion , macrovision free etc etc it simply requires a firmware update.
    This requires a special cable which you plug into your laptop and the other end into the player.

You would be better off buying this player ready updated from somewhere like avland or one of the other multiregion dealers

6. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a chipped/modified one, as the dvd player can then play any dvd in the world! sweet!

I have used RCE titles (final fantasy) and all region discs 0-8 and no problems! It plays svcd and vcd 2.0 discs and photo vcds aswell. oh and mp3 cdrs that don't cut off the begining of the tracks like the cyberhome (eurrgh) does. There isn't much that this dvd player can't do.

I got my dv545, similar to the 444 but with an extra scart and stereo music effects, from www.avland.co.uk for £269. I think they do the 444 for £200.

Its a sexy beast, and so thin! Video is crisp and sharp, no bleeding. Audio is good. It doesn't come with digital decoders, but then you'll want to get a separate amp yes???

Get one! Its a good dvd player to get if its your first.
    :D
    ice_cool

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 444. If you get a R2 version, it will not be multi-region out of the box with the handset hack you quoted. As already stated, it doesn't need hardware modification, but a firmware conversion done with a PC-DVD lead & appropriate software. It's then usually automatic multi-region, but the handset hack is able to manually change the region code i.e for RCE discs.
    It's a great player, plays everything you put in it really well.
    If you buy one you wont be disappointed, but make sure the one you get is region free.

8. mikey

mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know how to do the firmware upgrade to get it multiregion or is this a big secret that the shops keep to themselves? I am more than happy to get my hands dirty with a PC and some wire, thats my job. What interconnects do you need and where does the firmware come from, it isn't downloadable from pioneer.com!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    To de-regionalise the DV-444 you will need a copy of the update software, and a dongle that connect to the serial port on a PC. This has some gubbins in it and has an ouput on a thin 5 conductor flat cable.

Think you can only get these from Pioneer themselves.

You'll just have to find a dealer that will offer the mod for you, like myself.