1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV444 worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monty1977, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've got 2 of these wonderful machines, love them to bits as they're not fussy as to home made DVDs and still perform well.

AFAIK they dont support component out and I'm looking to buy a new Tosh pf2 CRT which supports this input.

Is it worth me upgrading to get a player that does have component out capability? Or am I unlikely to notice the difference?

Cheers!
    A

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +515
    I have the Pioneer 454 and have recently been testing a Panasonic S75 (only £95) that I bought for my parents. The S75 via component was considerably better than the Pioneer 454 on my Panny 36PD30 TV. The picture had much better colours and better detail. The S75 plays DVD-Audio and JPEGs as well.

I was suprised at how big the difference in picture quality was as I was reasonably happy with the Pioneer.

Additionally I found that the S75 had far more picture controls and a better operating system.

If your display has component inputs it really is a no brainer. The only reason that I won't be buying an S75 for myself is that I want to upgrade to a DVD player that outputs PAL progressive scan - about the only thing that the S75 does not do. It does do NTSC pro scan which may be more useful to you if you have more region 1 disks than region 2.

3. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the info! :)

...more expense ! lol

What DVD players are the current favourites that output component and PAL/NTSC progressive scan?

Cheers,
    A

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Sony 930 and 730 have both PAL/NTSC progressive

5. ChrisN

ChrisN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What is the Sony 730 like?
    Can't find any reviews for this anywhere.

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Supposed to be very good. It has the same video chips as the 930 so the price reduction is made by lower build quality and I think no SACD support, but on the important stuff Video it’s the same as the 930. :)