Pioneer DV444 - any thoughts??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andy76, Nov 13, 2001.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of possibly buying the above DVD player.
    Has anyone had any good/bad experiences of it??

I currently have a DV530 (region 2 only) but want a multi region player and the 444 seems a good price and stylish too.

Yes, I could 'chip' the 530 but would rather sell this and get a fully guaranteed new multi region player than risk messing up my current player.

Also, anyone have a web address for 'Upgrade Heaven'??
    Thought about Techtronics then read the recent posts.....

Andrew

2. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a black DV444 from superfi for £210 (multiregional). It's my first DVD player so not much to compare it to, but the sound & picture are excellent and it has a very quick disk access time. For the money there's not much else to compete on features from a top brand name. Also the MP3 navigator function works a treat (can only handle filenames and folders with 8 characters though). Finally it's small, neat appearence even keep the wife happy! - A star buy.:)

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Just bought one in silver for a friends sysyem. It seems to be one of the better cheaper players, not as good as a Toshiba 210 IMHO but about the next best. Looks are very good, especially with the matching receiver (same height).

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Andy76

I have just purchased the Pioneer 545 model which is the same transport and internals to the 444 but with extra sound tweaks and pass through RGB scart. I purchased from Home Cinema Heaven ( http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/ ), great service, ordered at 2:00pm, man knocking at my door with the box 7:55 am the next morning :) . Great picture and sound.

5. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the dv545 which has an extra scart and a few audio enhancements over the 444.

But it is a sexy beast! Very pleased with it so far.

Got it from avland.co.uk with a price match of 269.95 inc vat and p&p. Ordered thursday evening, but as it was past 4pm and near the weekend, they said it would be Monday that it would be delivered. Received Tuesday morning. They used Business post, which isn't known for its reliability.

The MP3 ability is good. The reason there are only 8 characters availalbe for the mp3 filename is because of the cdr/rw format (iso 996) that files are recorded on. Iso 996 is more compatible than using the joliet recording format. Having said that, the mp3's are very clear and the legato pro sound enhancer in the dv545 is good.

And the dvd player is a true one, as it is thin (55mm high!!) and hasn't been put in a vcr box like mpost dvd players (less cost for the manufacturers).

Have fun