Pioneer DV400 Versus Playstation 3: Upscaling DVD

djmmm

Novice Member
I was just wondering, if connected to Kuro 508XD, which one of these two will do a better job in terms of picture quality when displaying DVD movies?

DV400 or PS3? Or heck, maybe even they are both can only do the job as good as the upscaler of Kuro TV?

I am looking to get myself a decent DVD player to be able to get the most from Kuro, but if I have to spend much more money, I might as well get a PS3?

But then if PS3 can't upscale DVD as good as a dedicated upscaling DVD player like this Pioneer, then maybe I can just get the Pioneer DV400 first, then wait until PS3 price drops?

Or is there any other better player out there within the price range of Pioneer DV400? I read a bit about Oppo but it's hard to get in Aussie and a tad expensive. Thanks!

YellowSphere

Novice Member
I'd get the PS3 and switch upscaling off.

The odd resolution of most HD ready sets means that sending them a 720p upscaled signal produces really poor picture, this was very noticeable to me when playing with a 508 and one of Pioneer's DVD recorders. On top of this, Pioneer's built in scaling is fantastic.

PS3 gives you great DVD playback, good sound (from movies) and Blu-Ray. That's all you need. Well, and I hear this "Grand Theft Auto" game is quite good.

djmmm

Novice Member
I was under this impression that DVD with upscaling ability will always upscale better than TV even if it's Pioneer Kuro which is well known to make even SD source look good.

So that means with Kuro, if I buy a DVD player, I don't need the one that lets you upscale to 1080p because Kuro is not 1080p so there's no point in that? (just buy a 'normal' DVD player?)

aniki

Novice Member
I was under this impression that DVD with upscaling ability will always upscale better than TV even if it's Pioneer Kuro which is well known to make even SD source look good.
You have to spend serious money to better the scaling and more importantly deinterlacing of Pioneers panels.
IMO your best bet would be to find a player that'll output 480i/576i over HDMI.

badbob

Banned
I tried my Oppo into a Pioneer 720p plasma, it looked best with the DVD player set to 480p/576p (so only one scaling process) If set to 720p two scaling processes going on. However it would be interesting to compare 1080p from the oppo, into a 1080p Kuro, so only scaling going on either setting.

djmmm

Novice Member
I wanna know this too. There must be some owners who can actually perform this test?

I wanna know how good is the Kuro's famous upscaling ability when it's compared to a very good performer like Oppo.

aniki

Novice Member
I wanna know this too. There must be some owners who can actually perform this test?
Hi,
Fortunately I get to play about with virtually every combination available. Including SD players considered as 'top end'. Results = 'see my post above'.
The only time I started to see improvements was using VP30/VP50/ABT scaling/deinterlacing.
With that in mind, I'd be interested to see results of the new 983 with ABT deinterlacing. Unfortunately its not widely available so will probably be a while until I get my hands on one :(

djmmm

Novice Member
Then I will just get the DV400 and be done with it then.

I am actually interested in getting the Oppo DVD player which so many people rave about, and from what I read this Oppo will provide better picture quality compared to the Pioneer.

But then again, I am not sure if the superior picture quality of Oppo is in terms of upscaling wise, or even when you let the TV do the upscaling and just feeding the regular 576i feed.

But the thing is, here in Australia, I can probably get the Pioneer for AUS$140, whereas if I want the cheapest Oppo, I'd have to pay almost double the price of the Pioneer DV400.