Pioneer DV400 or DV600

Amar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one of these two players strictly for Divx use.

From my understanding after reading various other threads, it seems that the picture on the two players is pretty much the same and that the only real difference is in the sound stakes. As I will be keeping my 757 player, the sound issue is not of any concern for me.

Does anyone know if the Divx picture on the DV600 is better than on the DV400 (assuming the quality of the divx file is the same/good). Looking at the Pioneer website, it states that the DV600 is Divx Ultra certified whereas the DV400 isn't. Does this make any difference?

Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if there is much/any difference in the quality of divx playback on these two machines?

:lease:

I supose go for the DV400, can't see there being any real difference in the divx playing stakes.

I bought the DV600 because of the better sound and becuase i got it for £119from richer sounds.

Thanks, I'm thinking the same.

However, it appears that the 600 is only about £50 or so more expensive. I'm wondering if I should just pay a little bit more for the higher model.

Is there any concernable difference between the two in terms of build?

I would imagine they are the same in terms of build quality. I have not seen The DV 400 in the flesh so couldn't say.

I wouldn't say the DV 600 is not the best of build quality anyway, nor the worst by any means. It's plastic and very light, but at the end of the day it is sat in my hi fi rack so i can't see any problems with that.

But so far it has played everything i have thrown at it in terms of DVDs and AVI files. Which is all i have tested it with due to not using any other file types.

There have been no issues with it at all no glitches or anything.

Thanks again mate. That's very useful information. My 757 is still a quality performer and will still be taking of the main duties including music (until I get myself a good cd player).

I've seen that Sevenoaks are selling both players so I might try and see if I get them to loan both of them to me and see if there is any difference in terms of divx playback quality.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I am considering one of these

Dibdab how did you get it for £119 from richersounds? Did they price match it? As my local branch are a bit funny when it comes to pricematching :thumbsdow

Cheers

Hi, i got it price matched, can't remember who with though.

Don't let them con you, you should be able to get it price matched and a £10 discount too.

As long as it's in stock with the company that you want to price match with and includes next day delivery.

Thanks Dibdab :smashin: I may drop by richersounds next week. Although as i don't really need the advanced audio (SACD etc) i may go for the DV-400.

Richersounds only sell the DV600 and that is only in black too

I have been digging a little deeper and a copy of the service manual for both can be found here http://www.service.pioneer-eur.com/peeservice/instrmanuals.nsf/0/93EC87D0DE485DE9C12572F1002729CF/$File/VRB1471_DV-600AV-S.pdf

You will obviously be able to compare the specs of both. Apart from the obvious differences in terms of audio functionality, the DV600 is also DivX Ultra certified - does mean that it will play DivX HD material?

I also found an owners thread on a similar forum across the pound http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=841054 The general consensus appears to be that the DV-400 ticks alot of boxes and is a solid performer. The Americans can get the player for $99!!! I've decided to go with the DV-400 rather than a philips 5980 and have placed an order with a local AV retailer who will do it for £80!:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:m&s i am really considering buying this dvd player myself so please post your findings on picture quality.

:lease:Just a lil question any one hooked the dv600 or the dv400 to a crt via rgb scart, whats the quality like?

I just noticed this thread; this is what I wrote in the DV600 thread:

I don't think anybody has tested them (DV600 and DV400) against each
other but looking the specs, it seems like the DV600 has some more features and better audio overall:
- Plays SACD
- Plays DVD-Audio
- DivX Ultra profile Certified
- 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter vs DV400:96 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
- Built-in Dolby Digital Decoder (5.1 channel)
- Built-in DTS Decoder (5.1 channel)
- Bass Management
- Delay Adjustment
- Total Harmonic Distortion 0,0023 % vs DV400: 0,0065%
- Dynamic Range 100 dB vs DV400: 88 dB
- 5.1 Analogue outputs
- S-video out
- Optical Audio out

You will obviously be able to compare the specs of both. Apart from the obvious differences in terms of audio functionality, the DV600 is also DivX Ultra certified - does mean that it will play DivX HD material?
No.

Quick update.

Richer Sounds now sell the DV400 in silver:)

:lease:hi!

sorry, but i need help!
i brought my husband the pioneer dv 400, in the theory of it playin hd dvds.

put in a hd dvd yesterday and it does nothing. all it comes up with is ' pioneer ' logo and does not even recognise the dvd.

is this supposed to play hd dvds ?

thanks.

:lease:hi!

sorry, but i need help!
i brought my husband the pioneer dv 400, in the theory of it playin hd dvds.

put in a hd dvd yesterday and it does nothing. all it comes up with is ' pioneer ' logo and does not even recognise the dvd.

is this supposed to play hd dvds ?

thanks.

No it's not able to play hd-dvds.

The Pioneer DV400 and 600 are dvd players that can upscale standard dvds to HD resolutions.

Would the difference in sound quality between the 2 players be an issue when connected to an amp?

Or is that where all the difference comes into play?

Just phoned my local Richer Sounds & they want £139 for the DV600 :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom