Pioneer DV-868 Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colin_S, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Colin_S

Colin_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I am looking for help on a couple of things with my DV-868:

When i turn on progressive scan i get an output of 525p on a NTSC disk and 625p on an Pal disk, (none region coded disks) is that the highest i can get, i thought it was normally a 720p or something like that. (i'm not to hot on progress scan as you may have guessed) oh and it is linked up to a 435xde

Also i need a region hack for this player, i know it can't be done with the std remote but was hoping for some info on using a laptop with IR port. This thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155620&highlight=DIY+SDI mentions "Then I made it multi region, using a borrowed Palm to send a command to the player as described elsewhere on this forum" i have serched and serched but can't find it. Any help please.

Many Thanks

Colin

2. JensH

JensH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Colin: you're confusing progressive scan and scaling. :)

Progressive scan doesn't alter the resolution, which is 480i and 576i for NTSC and PAL respectively. However, the 868 also has a scaler which can output 720p and 1080i, this only works with the HDMI output. When you select one of the 'p' resolutions the deinterlacer is automatically engaged.

If you connect the player to an HDMI or DVI/HDCP device go to the setup menu and click Initial Settings, then select the Video settings and at the bottom you'll see HDMI, you can select the output mode you want, you'll see 480i/576i (which you see seems to depend on the DVD that was last played), 480p/576p, 720p and 1080i.

4. Colin_S

Colin_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep i am confusing progressive scan with scaling, what does progressive scan do then? Also i have the high definition AV pack for my xbox and i get 720p over component, is that a scaler i have for the xbox?

Also anyone know of a remote control software package to use on a laptop with IR?

Cheers

Colin

5. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +144
  6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Colin:

Your X-Box is a PC using a graphics card, the card's driver contains scaling software. The reason an HTPC will usually produce a better PQ than a stand-alone scaling player like the 868 is that you can get specialiased scaling software which does a better job .. at the price of some not inconsiderable time tweaking and twiddling.

This article on ProjectorCentral explains progressive vs. interlaced far better than I can. :) It talks about 480i (NTSC) since it's an American site but the principle is exactly the same for PAL (576i).

7. shane515

shane515

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Colin

I used the product that Eitzel has quoted on my 868, item arrived in 24 hours and the procedure was painless to carryout, in fact I've now used this company twice, 100% recommend :smashin:

Shane