1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-757Ai

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BigAardvaark, Feb 26, 2003.

1. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I recently asked the question "Do you plan on releasing a firmware update to add PAL Progressive Scan to the DV-757Ai to the DV-757Ai" to Pioneer customer support. Their answer was - "Thanks for your email.
    There is no information available at this time, we are wating for a reply from our head office."

And then, following an email asking for clarifaction, their response was - "At the time the DV-757I was designed there was not a Pal Progressive standard and as such the DV-757 was not advertised as Pal Progressive upgradeable so we ask please be patient and as soon as any information is availabe it will be released."

Looks promising? Dunno, has anyone had any experience of Pioneer's customer support?

The reason I ask is this, if you translate the German review of the DV-757 linked to from the official Pioneer UK website, it states that Pioneer will be releasing a firmware upgrade to enable PAL progressive on this player.

I for one have my fingers (and toes, and other crossable things...) crossed on this one!

2. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my fingers crossed too.

If they do release a Pal Progressive patch for this player, then it will pretty much be at the top of my shopping list.

I've had a couple of Demo's with this player now and the results were stunning.

Even the CD playback was very impressive!!!

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though I'm looking to buy one of these players, you have to admit that the above is a very fair point.

I think the AV industry is fairly unique in that purchasers expect kit to do and be more than the actual product specifications set out.

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    From someone that spent a lot of time testing this one against the likes of Arcam and Denon, my advice is that it should still be on the very top of your shopping list. The price you pay for the quality and features you buy cannot be matched by anyone from the rest. It is a different story if you are a fanatic strong fan of a certain supplier... then you carry on a little blinded!

5. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a very good player.

The only things putting me off, are the lack of Pal Prog & It has the Chroma bug.

Otherwise I think that I would have bought it already!!!!

6. Cyber Spawn

Cyber Spawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate asked this question regarding his 747 at the Bristol Show on Saturday, although the guys we're not allowed to talk about PAL Progressive for legal reasons, one of the guys said, it would most likely be a firmware upgrade and not a hardware one.

Would they charge for the PAL Disk or send it to you after showing proof of purchase or something?

7. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pioneer rep i chatted to at the bristol show on sunday said that...

"there was not an industry standard for pal progressive yet but when there is ..it would be quite simple to upgrade the 757"...

....didn't say how or when though

He then started to talk about the replacement for the 757 and how this would have a digital video interface ...HMI or something?

Cheers
    VC

8. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    perrdl

chroma bug on the 757? Are we sure?
    BTW, on the Pal prog issue I happen to meet somebody today working for Pio through my work (marketing semiconductors). ... He insisted it will be a disc upgrade as soon as the standard is established

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    perrdl

chroma bug on the 757? Are we sure?
    BTW, on the Pal prog issue I happen to meet somebody today working for Pio through my work (marketing semiconductors). ... He insisted it will be a disc upgrade as soon as the standard is established

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Costas,
    I agree, it's not as if they sell the damn things !

Oops ! :suicide:

11. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read a couple of articals on the net, that confirm this.

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But having the chroma bug simply means it's in line with 95% of other DVD players doesn't it?

I thought that, out of reasonably affordable players, only the Panasonic's didn't have the Chroma Bug?

13. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true!!!

There are a few players starting to apear now without the chroma bug, so it may be worth waiting 6 month's or so, when I presume other players without it will start to be released.

The Denon 3800 has no Chroma bug but is slightly more expensive. I would have thought that the next Pioneer release should be not only Pal Prog Scan but Chroma bug free too!!

14. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has everyone slipped in a time warp? PAL prog is already an agreed standard so the legal reasons is nonsense!!

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that also, but according to the Denon guys at the Bristol show that's maybe not quite as true as we might think.
    From what they seemed to imply, each and ever product which features PAL progressive has to be ratified on their own merits.

They would not answer any questions officially re. PAL progressive. Mind you, they wouldn't officially talk about their products playing anything other than Region 2 discs either...

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :D

If the 757 does turn out to do Pal Prog it's mine, you got the 2011 amp didn't you? does that have i-link?

17. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do 'have' the Pioneer 2011, although I'm so scared that it will be so good that I'll break down every time I use it that I've asked Unbeatable to hang on to it until the end of March, by which time my shrink will hopefully have rid me of my very rational fears.

As for the other two questions, I personally do think Pioneer will release PAL progressive firmware for the 757ai, it's a £900 player after all, not something easily disposable. One thing is for sure though, the 2011 does not have i-link compatability, which is a REAL shame. I'm even considering cancelling the Unbeatable order and waiting for the 2011's replacement (which, at this rate, I'd get at about the same time) as I figure it will probably have i-link. From what I've read about the link, it would be worth waiting for.

18. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it they are dragging their heels then?!:( :D

19. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's not their fault, it's just that Pioneer can't get enough of the things into the country. I think the mag reviews and subsequent demand took them by surprise.

In fact, Unbeatable have handled a precarious situation exceptionally well. Their emailed customer service has been the very model of excellence and something other companies would do well to replicate.

To be honest, I'm still really happy with my Denon 2802 so another four or five week's wait isn't really a problem. It's just that when you make that decision to buy something, you kind of want it 10minutes ago if you know what I mean.

I'm seriously looking at the 757ai to partner the amp but it seems a shame to have the i-link on the DVD player but not the amp :(

20. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Following the Bristol show and the input from the engineer I met,
    I intentionally sent a question today to the Pioneer support group here in UK. For your ..reading "pleasure" I quote question and answer received:

"Is there / will be a firmware upgrade to offer PAL PS for DV-757Ai?"

"Response (Customer Relations) - 27/02/2003 03:22 PM
    Unfortunately we haven't heard anything yet".

23. BigAardvaark

BigAardvaark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Ah goody, seems like they may be changing their tune from "no, and it never will be either".... :D