Pioneer DV-757 vs Denon DVD2200

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DJW, Dec 18, 2003.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With digitaldirect doing the Pioneer at £489 , it is now in direct competition with my 1st choice of the Denon DVD2200.

I've seen the posts comparing the Pioneer against the Denon 2900, but has anyone compared the above 2 please ?

For me, the player has to be used for Cinema (Panny AE100 PJ) plus Audio (thru a Linn system), via a Myryad MDP 500 processor.

If it comes to the crunch between the two, I would rather lose out on the picture quality front (as the PJ is prbably the limiting factor), to ensure I have the best CD Audio quality.

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DJW 666,

I have lately been comparing my Denon DVD2200 to my beloved Marantz 6000 K1 SIG and although I noticed a slight difference in detail in favour of the K1 the 2200 was very close indeed.

It may also be a factor that I'm used to the K1 and the 2200 is the new baby in the house and I've still got to get used to its ways.

Regards,

Chris L.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris I.

If I could get as close to my Karik, as you have to your Marantz, I'll be a happy man :) Thanks for the review.

Dave

4. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested in the verdict on this as i am in the same boat. I would have thought that the pioneer is a better machine purely because its more expensive, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

jon

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i went from a pio 656 to a 2900...not sure how mush diff in PQ there is between the 656 and 757, but the diff between the 656 and the 2900 was massive.....i then took the 2900 back for a refund and used the 656....i now have the 2200 and the diff in pic is massive again.....
    Evern though i did moan about the 2900 i still like them....i like the look of them over the pio and i think (IMO) that the price is well worth it considering you dont get that annoying layer change.....which was the reason i now own the 2200 and not a newer pioneer.
    As for music...again i cannot comment on the 757, but there was a big diff between the 656 and 2900...the 2900 blew the 656 away....not sure about the 2200 as have not got to try the audio side yet, but other people have reported that the audio side might not be as good as the 2900.

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Remember that for CD replay you would be using the Myryad processor's internal DACs with the DVD player acting as a transport only. In this case the difference in CD replay between the two is likely to be negligible.

The issue on the audio side is more how the SACD/DVD-A of the two players compares. Haven't compared the 2200 and 757 but I wouldn't expect there to be much in it.

Picture quality wise - again, I reckon it would be close.

What would swing me towards the Pioneer would be the lack of problems people have had with them. The Denon DVD2200 might be good too in this respect but I'm pretty sure there have been a number of problems with the dearer DVD2900.

Matt.

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else out there tested these 2 players & can give their opinion ? the monies burning a hole in my pocket ;) & I can't decide which one.

Thanks to those who have already

8. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    I haven`t compared the two but i have just bought a 2200 and its superb, I can deffinately see an improvement in picture quality over my Pioneer 939 which was their old flagship machine and thats on a 32" set (shortly to add a PJ or Plasma).

I can`t really comment on the sound side of things as its been hooked up to a new amp at the same time.

9. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Carlos......must admit I'm swinging twds the Denon at the mo.

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can you be more specific in the picure quality of the 2200 please and the layer change?