1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-755ai (dv-757ai)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Glau, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Glau

Glau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading about the failure of the dv-757ai (dv-757ai in the UK) as a RB cd player. I feel differently, I have been using the 755 as a universal player and find that the analog output is on par with my Marantz cd6000ose.

I find that certain CD's will sound better on the 755 certain will be better on the 6000ose...very odd. Has any users experienced the same?

As for dvd-A and SACD, the quality is there, generally ahead of normal CD's. A really good sounding CD can give the other 2 formats a run for their money, that's for sure.

:hiya:

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Id have to agree with you on this, i currently have my 757 set up to a proper stereo amp (Rotel RA01) and two stereo speakers, as i am currently in the process of moving all of my av gear into another room. I have only set up one set of interconnects between my dvd player and the amp, my cd player arcam CD72 is currently redundant as i have not set this up to the amp. Anyway the other day when i wanted to listed to a cd rather than unplug my dvd player and plug the cd player in i just used the dvd player and i was very surprised just how good it sounded through a proper stereo amp and it runs my arcam very very close, the only edge the arcam has is that it is not as bright sounding as the 757 but this can be altered by using the tone button on the amp. I also tried sacd through the stero amp and that also sounds excellent. I would go as far to say that if i wasnt relocating my av equipment then i would sell my arcam cd72 and use the pioneer as a cd player as well.
    I am actually thinking about selling my arcam cd player and buying a 656 (but need to demo to ensure it is as good at cd playback as the 757) as a second dvd player for my front room and for use as the cd player.

3. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i have a pio 757, and the sound that cames via digital optical is higher than analog outputs.
    is this normal?

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'd assume that this would be because you have better sounding DACS in your amplifier than those supplied in the 757.

Sorry to say I'm one of those that thinks the 757 CD replay is not very good, I can't think of anything it does better than my Rega Planet CD.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have to say I agree, although I have more experience of the 656, which I own. You put on a CD through the phono's and you think 'Yeah, sounds OK' then you switch to the digital coax through a decent amp and all becomes clear.

In my opinion, they are certainly both good for DVD players at CD but are much better suited as transports with good DACS. The sound through their own DACs lacks puch and clarity IMHO.

As with everything, you pays yer money. I think the best budget DVD player I have heard with CD is the Sony 700/705/900/905 bunch. Also do SACD much more convincingly than the Pioneers.

Which brings me on to another subject. They always say the Pio's are stronger ant SACD than DVD-A but to my ears it's absolutely the opposite and I think SACD is their weakness.

Still brilliant players for the money though.

6. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    but the sound from analog 6.1 drops even from a dvd.

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ahh sorry did you mean the sound volume was higher I thought you meant the sound quality. This is perfectley normal, for the analogue outputs I've found if I set the volume on the 5.1 output (for DVD-A SACD) to variable on the 757 and then boost the setting by about 4 or 5db I can match it more closely to the volume output for my other sources.

Does that make sense ?

All DVD players I've used (and amps) do the same the analogues seem to hve less gain than the digital.

Slingshot

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Slingshot and Steve have you tried playing your 757 through the same amp and speakers as your cd player and vise versa to give a true comparison when playing cds? Just a thought :)

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep both go through the same processor, so it's a fair test. Also did a blind test with my girlfriend and she agreed the CD was way better.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can't really speak for the CD72 as I have only heard the CD62 adn the 92 (I think also I once demoed the FMJ one).

Put it this way. When I got my Pio 656 (demoed next to 757 with little difference IMHO) I thought it was OK for CD and great for DVD-A using the analogue outs. The digital out to my Sony 1080 sounded OK, maybe a tiny bit better.

I know have a Rotel 1055 and CD's through the digital coax (using the amps DACs) and the 656 as a transport are far better than any CD, SACD or DVD-A through the players analogue outputs.

This tells me that the DACs in the player are on the good side of OK. I have heard great things about the CD72 and from my experience with the 62 and 92, I would expect it to blow away a Pio 757 with analogue output.

However, I may be wrong and in your system it may be the other way round as can easilly happen.

But the CD I demoed the 656 and 757 with was Dire Straits Love over Gold and I didn't know just how rough Knopfler sounds at the beginning of Telegraph Road until I got an amp with decent DACs in it.

11. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's different to what I'm hearing, my 757 through a Rotel 1066 is very similar with it's own DACS and the 1066 DACS. However a Rega Planet via analog is just so much well less digital to be honest.

Anyway just goes to show the difference in our ears maybe.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Stereo Steve my set up is pretty similar as i have a Rotel 1055 and through the coaxial input the 757 definitely sounds much better than using the dvds analogue out i.e using the amps dacs, i was just surprised that through a stereo amp and stereo speakers the dvd player sounded better imho. This could actually be down to my av speakers though which are kef eggs, i do really like these for movies but they are not the best for music. As my cd duties now mainly go through the stereo amp the only music i now play through my 1055 and kef eggs is from the radio which is mainly a saturday night and dance music and who knows how that is supposed to sound :D