1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-747A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone know anything about this new Pioneer yet? - it's the one that does the lot DVD-V, DVD-A, multi-channel SACD and the usual others (MP3, CD-R, CD-RW etc.)

It could be the player a lot of us have been waiting for BUT is it any good?:confused:

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price drop - well its marked as 1199 down to 899 at home cinema heaven and avland have it at 899 as well.

I'm hoping to see one in action later this week.

As I have a DVDA player already, I am tempted just to go for an all region sony 900. As I'll be using the component outputs I dont think I'll have the RGB problems that people are reporting.

4. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The RRP was £1199, Just phoned Pioneer and the guy at Customer Relations seemed happy to discuss prices.

He said its gonna drop to £800-£900 RRP. If both those companies took £300 from the previous RRP, then imagine what its gonna be now :D

5. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even the inital price for the 747 appeared too good to be true and if the reported price reductions happen in the New Year then this appears to be an excellent buy.

I must admit that I was very interested in this unit because I was interested in SACD (and it would be nice to have DVD-A as a bonus) but I read somewhere that the multi-channel SACD was bolted on to a DVD-AUDIO machine and that as a result the SACD performance was not great.

I have now put my decision to purchase on hold.

6. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read on a US site that this player "converts" the DSD SACD signal into PCM and then into the analogue domain for output through the 6 phono outs - sort of as if it was converting SACD into DVDA

Whether this has a negative effect - who knows. Its not as if theres a great deal of hardware and software out there in order to do comparisons.

Still if the price does come down then as a video player alone - with a 12 bit dac it sounds a bargain - and the sound is a bonus

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I emailed AV-land with a few questions. See their answers below. Some info you might find useful.
    1. I noticed that you have started taking orders for the DV-747 on the website. Along with being region free, could you confirm whether or not the upgrade allows the player to output 576p(Pal Progressive) in addition to 480p(NTSC progressive)?
    > We don't yet know if we will be able to do this on the Pioneer, it's not likely it will be possible though.

2. Is the upgrade simply a software/firmware upgrade or is it a hardware upgrade?
    > It is a firmware upgrade that is done using an RS232 PC link cable.

3. Also, When will they be shipping?
    >Pioneer haven't given us an exact date, but it's likely to be January now.

Based on info posted on AVSforum, it is using a new pioneer mpeg decoder. They have combined the 2 separate chips which they use in other players(737,etc) into 1 chip. De-interlaceing is done by this chip. Nobody knows whether this chip will still suffer from the chroma upsampling bug or whether it will have PAL progressive capability.

WSquared

8. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Empire Direct are gonna sell it (Region Two Only) for £670 in Jan :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sure some multi-region supplier will match that :D :D :D