Pioneer DV-747a not working; an update

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by inkinoo, Aug 2, 2004.

1. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Could I have some advice please boys and girls?

A while back I posted that my DV-747a had stopped playing DVDs after just under two years of very little usage. It's been sent to Pioneer for repair and they have come back to say the pickup assembly stopped, well, picking up and it will cost £120 to repair.

Would people here say that is an unreasonable fault on a £800 DVD player?

The player is going to be repaired because I'd like it back but according to Trading Standards the retailer is liable should the player be subjected to an 'unreasonable fault'.

Advice, as always, is appreciated.

G

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I would say that it's reasonable to expect what most people would consider a high-end player to last more than 2 years without failing, especially with little use.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have the same player and ive been using it like you, very little and for about 2years.
    So far so good!
    Still as you said it is very expensive and they should take responsibility and fix it for free!
    But having said this the companies dont care and really just want to sell new models so they dont build them to last like they used to! On average a new model for say pioneer comes out every year.
    By the time a particular model fails, the makers have already moved on to newer models and dont have the equipment to deal with older models.
    Its quite cheeky realy. Just because they have "moved on" doesnt mean all their customers have too!
    Do they really beleive that we can afford to buy a new 1000 pound DVD player every year?