1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-717 still a good buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by titian, Oct 12, 2000.

1. titian

titian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that the price of the pioneer DV-717 dropped with 40%. I am thinking of buying it.

I wonder if the pioneer is worth his new low price consider that it is almost 2 years old. Is a new model (like the 737) worth the big price difference?

Are there must have things missing on the DV 717?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The problem with the 717 is the lip sync problem (picture and sound not in sync) which supposingly has never been fixed though it might not happen with all discs.
    So it's a kind of risk, but I would recommend rather the DV-626 (as well to be replaced soon) which is newer and performance nearly on par.
    Sells down here now for around GBP 300 only!

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Did a service call on one yesterday. Nothing wrong with it. From build point of view, first class. From performance point of view, the only problem is the lip synch on a few films. If the price is right, go for it.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have about 150 films, with 140 being R1 and the rest R2. I have never had a lip sync problem with any R1 films and only once with R2 discs. Specifically 'Human Traffic'.

It still is an excellent player which is also very good stereo playback. I paid £550 for mine (with extra warranty). My advise - go but one now but go for the gold one, it looks more expensive than it actually is !!

Ian.

5. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just read through my reply...Apologies for the very poor english. It's very early in the morning and I haven't slept because I feel sick (very sick when I'm laying in bed) Food Poisoning..aaagghhhh

Ian