1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-717 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marc, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    On the back of the DV-717 there is a little PAL/AUTO/NTSC switch, but no matter what i put it on, everything looks the same. I thought it would switch the signal from ntsc to pal or vice versa, which i thought i would cause at least something to change in the image on screen, but it doesn't appear to.

Is there anything i can do to test if it is infact working?

2. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Can you expand on this a bit more ??

You could try playing a Region 1 disc with this only outputting NTSC you could check it works.............

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    well ive tried flicking the switch while playing a dvd and it does nothing, ive also tried turning it off, putting the switch in a different position, turning it back on and playing the same disc and again i can not see any difference in image quality, aspect ratio, colour etc, but im not sure what to look for. NTSC discs always used to make the spinning dvd icon that appears when i put a disc in go into an oblong shape, and it still does now i have it set to PAL rather than Auto.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The switch is there to satisfy TV equipment that may or may not be compatible with various signal formats.

The first and most important thing to recognise is that the output from ANY video device can be specified as three factors:

The line structure - this is 525 (480 used) for NTSC and 625 (576 used) for PAL.
    The field refresh rate - 50hz for PAL, 60hz for NTSC
    The colour carrier method used for Composite video and SVideo - PAL = PAL and NTSC = NTSC.

On this player, there is no conversion perfomed on the line and frame rates. This switch affects the colour carrier method only. Thus:

Set it to Auto and:

PAL discs generate 625/50/PAL
    NTSC discs generate 525/60/NTSC

Set it to PAL and:

PAL discs generate 625/50/PAL
    NTSC discs generate 525/60/PAL

Set it to NTSC and:

PAL discs generate 625/50/NTSC
    NTSC discs generate 525/60/NTSC.

In other words, the only effect is on the colour carrier method.

The next thing to recognise is that the colour carrier method has no effect whatsoever when the connection between DVD and TV (etc) in use is RGB. So, regardless of the setting of this switch, the output via RGB is either 525/60/RGB or 625/50/RGB. In other words, the switch has no effect via RGB.

If you are using composite or SVideo AND the TV is equally capable of displaying any of the above 6 combinations, then you may see a momentary flicker as you switch the switch, but once it has settled down, there will probably be little or no visible difference between (for example) 525/60/NTSC and 525/60/PAL.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    thanks :thumbsup: exactly the sort of info i was looking for. i'm using RGB so that explains why nothing changes