Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer DV-668AV-S vs Denon DVD-2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by t1grm, Jan 26, 2005.

1. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone able to comment on the advantages and disadvantages of the above two DVD players when compared to each other?

I’m having to buy on spec as demos are not easy to arrange where I am. After doing some reading up these seem to be the two best and most readily available for the price I’m looking at (around 600 GBP).

The only thing is my local dealer has the Pioneer in stock now whereas the Denon would be a real pain in the a*se to import and get hold of here.

So is it worth going the extra mile for the Denon or is the Pioneer just as good?

For example I’ve heard the Pioneer is not so hot on CD playback. Is that the case for the Denon also? It’s primarily for DVD not CD but good CD playback is a nice to have. They both have HDMI but I don’t have that on my PJ so no big deal there. The Denon has DVI which the Pioneer doesn’t. I have DVI on my PJ but am planning to use component switching it via my amp. Any other points I should know about?

2. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't seen the Pioneer, but i do have a 2910, so a one-sided perspective.

I think the 2910 has great sound (currently running it through a cyrus preamp and stereo amp, -2 channel surround sound as opposed to 5.1 +)
    I've used it to play SACDs which sound great too.

I have had issues with the HDMI port not working, and now have a replacement unit in the car waiting for the w/e

I have also had issues with poor reading a couple of new DVDs. When i contacted denon they recomended re-initialising the unit, which seems to have solved the problem.

I have run the 2910 to a hs50, and it is apparent that the interlaced output gives a clearer image than progressive. This is a result of the pj and the player as the player has to encode and the pj decode (to digital), but in my set up the interlace signal gives the best results (when using component). Not an issue when using digital.

If you have/get DVI i would give it a bash with whatever pj you have as i noticed an improvement in clarity.

Less than satisfactory 'out of the box', not without it's niggles. I had read the magazine reviews 'what hifi dvd player of the year' or something, and i was a little underwhelmed when i got the unit.

over all the 2910, for me, is great for digital,and satisfactory for analogue (component etc), the sound is great, and there are loads of output options, making it a flexible addition (don't need an AV receiver etc).

Really i was after a half width unit which would fit with the cyrus stuff, but i couldn't find one with digital out....

b

3. t1grm

t1grm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments Blue2. The out of the box niggles sound a bit worrying. I think that's something you can assume you wouldn't get with Pioneer (or at least that used to be the case).

4. Blue2

Blue2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yup, though i asumed i wouldn't get them with the Denon...

5. rovak

rovak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i wonder if you guys could help has any one else had problems with a11 not linking to yamaha z9 through i link cable

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi rovak, you'd be better off starting a new thread than adding a reply to this one, since your question isn't related to the subject those who could perhaps answer it won't see it. :)

t1grm: I have an 868 which AFAIK is simply the 668 with scaler, looking at its' performance without that I think that lack of macroblocking or multi-region problems makes the pioneer a better bet, its' component output is very good and certainly better than a 2900 I compared it to, I'm not aware the 2910 improved that.

7. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    i have a 668 and i think it is a fantastic player - very good picture via component (not seen it running in HDMI) once setup and plays anything you chuck at it. Very good build construction. I've had a few Denon player and they have given me nothing but trouble - especially playing new discs etc.

DVDCHILD

8. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you need RGB go with the Denon. If you are looking for better CD playback then also go for the Denon. Other connections or SACD / DVD audio then plump for the Pioneer. Both are great players, but the Denon just took it for me. Until I heard the iLink on the 868... so the wallet took an extra bashing.

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why? My 868 does RGB just fine and the 668 is the same AIUI.

10. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quite a few of us have problems with RGB on the 868, there has been a few threads on the problem. Even Pioneer admits PQ on RGB is less than perfect. The colour error is not visable on S-Video or HDMI and (to my eyes) component; although Pioneer has admited that they can see a small error on component during some lab work they did trying to solve the RGB issue.

Quote Pioneer:

Response (CTMCS) - 26/01/2005 10:15 AM
    The reply was generated through our in house technical support division,they did go on to say that they did rig up a Pioneer DV-868 dvd player through component video,also RGB scart too. The picture you sent through as an attachment was noticeably poorer through RGB scart,component was not as poor however.