1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-668AV-S or Denon DVD-2910?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Evil Desires, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Evil Desires

Evil Desires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone own any of these 2 dvds players ?

I am stuck on which to choose as i need a HDMi compatible player for my new pannasonic AE700 projector.

Is there a big difference in picture quality when useing HDMI rather than RGB scart or component

Any info would be great?

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I've recently upgraded my Pioneer 668 to a Denon 3910 - I can't comment on the 2910, but I'd have to say I'm happier with my Denon. Hard to make a comparrison on the picture differences as I can't easily run the two together but i'd say the Denon has a slight edge, with the picture appearing more detailed. The biggest difference I noticed was due to the Denon buffering, no layer change has been spotted on disks I've played. I'd also say that the SACD performance on the Denon was better.

Sorry I can't compare the 2910 for you, but if I knew then what I know now (and it was out) I'd definitely have chosen the Denon over the Pioneer.

3. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've had a 2910 for a couple of weeks and so far very happy with it :) . Tried it with dvd's, dvd audio and sacd and pleased with all. Until I get a projector I am using the RGB scart output and the quality is great though I am comparing it to a 5 year old pioneer 626. The only downsides to it that I have found are that it does take longer than I had expected to load a disc, it is very unforgiving of marked discs and finally it does seem to generate a surprising amount of heat. Having read other posts, however, these seem to be classic Denon traits.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ptae700 is very good with HDMI try the Arcam DV79 for even better picture through it!

5. Evil Desires

Evil Desires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the replies,

As my dvd player budget is around £500 i won't be buying a Arcam DV79 as there £999

Think i'll go for the denon

6. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new 2910 over the weekend. It replaces a Samsung 745. Was going to go for the Samsung 945, but I got bored waiting, and I am glad I didn't in the end. The remote actually works from where sit, and the operability is soooo much easier.

Picture is very good via DVI, better than scart or component ? Oh yes, but it is a double edged sword, the Samsung was awful on badly encoded DVD's, the Denon is still showing a little Edge Enhancement on some DVD's (Kill Bill Vol 2) but no where near as bad. Can always drop down in resolution to get rid of it.

Overall I am very please with it, easy to set up and use, great picture, and the ability to play with the different modes (1080i/50hz vs 1080i/60hz) is great. Not great sound with CD's though , although that maybe down to me not having sorted the amp properly.