1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-668AV - Chroma bug? (Picture included)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David Mackenzie, Apr 4, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie

Aug 28, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Glasgow, UK
    Hey everyone,

Using Progressive Scan (connected over Component) on my Sony KLV26HG2 with this player I notice a nasty effect which I believe is the chroma bug - colours having jagged edges. It's most noticeable on animated titles because of less complicated look and large areas of similar colour, and is slightly less visible on PAL stuff because I'd imagine of the higher resolution.

I realise that compressed colours (4:2:0 I believe?) are part of the compression scheme for DVD, but this seems excessive - opening the actual .VOB files from DVD discs on my PC monitor in VirtualDub (essentially showing the raw contents of the actual files) shows the compressed colours, just not to the same extent. Which makes me think it's a fault generated by the player:

I've even sometimes resorted to watching animated titles over S-Video, which basically blurs out the problem.

If it is indeed the chroma bug, is there anything I can do about it? Could Pioneer release a firmware upgrade for the player? It just seems a bit off to have this problem on an expensive player...

Has anyone else come across this?