Pioneer DV-656A Subtitle problem.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by disco-tom, Jun 20, 2005.

1. disco-tom

disco-tom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I notice the Pioneer DV-656A seems to be quite a popular player here, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced the same problem I have.

My player is multiregion - but sorry, I do not know who did it as I have lost the receipt and forgotten where it was purchesed from all those years ago.... :oops:

Now, to the problem.

When I watch the four disc region 2 boxset of the Starwars Trilogy, I have no subtitles when any of the non english speaking characters are talking. I do not recall it allways being like this as I remember I sat and watched them when they first came out quite contentedly. Granted, not everytime they spoke were there any subtitles to display, but when they are supossed to, they do not. I try manually switching on subtitles via the handset button, but to no avail. I cannot even bring up the dedicated subtitle channels. I get the message "Depending on the disc, this opperation may be prohibited"... Same goes for the audio track button.... >_<;;

So, does anyone have the same problem, or am I being thick and have set a duff setting somewhere.

I don't think I have set anything wonkey, as I'm watching Die Hard region 2 box set trilogy now and all the audio and subtitle options are working from within the film.

Help meh, please. :lease:

Cheers. :smashin:

2. disco-tom

disco-tom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should also add that they are there as expected in other players. Such as my PC (Using Ulead DVD Player) and my sisters Toshiba Player.. It's not all limited to the one disc in the boxset, either. Ep's 4 and 6 are like it. I haven't tried 5 yet as I don't recall there being any subs like it in the film anyway and even if there are, I would expect the same result, tbh..

It's gotta be the player not picking up the signal or whatever to display them.

Sorry, I don't know an awfull lot about how DVD players work, tbh.

3. disco-tom

disco-tom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just found out my firmware is as follows:

Region: 2 / Ver: 1.046(16) / AV1: 2.0/2.7

If that helps anyone...

4. disco-tom

disco-tom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just incase anyone else gets this same issue - it's sorted.

Lyris, whom I believe frequents these very forums, has helped me out with a suggestion on another forum that sorted it. It appears my player ignores these non english speaking character subs by default and I have to manually go into the discs own subtitle and audio settings to set al subs to 'off'. This then enables the non english speaking character subs to show.

Meh, go figure... Personally, I blame Lucas for arseing up the DVD's. Still, cracking picture and sound though.

Anyways, I owe Lyris a pint. :smashin: