1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV- 656 A / PLVZ1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John Stewart, Jul 18, 2003.

1. John Stewart

John Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can any one help with this one?

I bought a DV 656 based on a review in issue 108 [Nov' 02] of Home Entertainment Mag' which stated it has NTSC progressive scan and it could be enabled for PAL progressive.Pioneer tell me it
    does not do progressive and the Mag' has given wrong info'.

As most of my DVDs are region 2 anyway, perhaps it is not worth bothering about PAL progressive with the PLVZ 1/DV 656 combination,any one got any thoughts?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well PAL progressive is a significant increase in pitcure quality, one that What Hi-Fi describe as equivalent to the change between Composite Video and RGB Scart.

The review you read was of an american player - which happens quite a lot lately in magazines (this month's What Video TV test an American AVR1803).

In all honesty I'd get your PLVZ1 first and go from there - although in all honesty you're unlikely to find need to complain about picture performance.

3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    The DVD656 is NOT a progressive scan dvd player. We thought long and hard when we bought this for our shop, do we go for Progressive or DVD-A / SACD...and the sound won!! We use this along with the excellent Sanyo Z1 via a good quality component cable and it works a treat. NTSC and PAL material works great, and we are running a 92"x52" 16:9 screen!! :eek:

Just not sure if Progressive Scan with the Z1 will make such a huge difference - now with a Sony 12HT it may be worth the investment?!

Hope that helps!!

4. John Stewart

John Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dimmy,

Thanks for your input.Actualy I have already bought the PLVZ1 so
    I think it's time to unbox the DV656 fire up the combination:)

John

5. John Stewart

John Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr 928,

Thanks for taking up this one.I too am using a similar sized screen to you, so I am encouraged by your positive comments and
    I will live with the combination.The real test is if I can become absorbed in the movie and forget the technology.:)

John