1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DV-636D CD Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul.T, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Paul.T

Paul.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DV-636D will no longer play CDs. Always was a little slow to recognise them. Now it whirrs and clunks and just keeps spitting them out.

Is this common?
    Is there a fix?

Should I just go out and buy a dedicated CD Player?

Plays DVDs just fine!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    So far! It could fail altogether in a minute. I'd get it replaced under warrenty (if possible).

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have the same DVD player as you and have had no problems with playing CD's.

I bought a 5-yr warranty (don't tell me how much of a mug i am :blush:) so would have this issue covered anyway. If you've still got warranty then use it to fix the player.

BTW isn't it frustrating how when you bought this player it was top of the range for the price but things have moved on so far since then. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the new HDMI models but can't justify it since I've only had the player for just under three years - the wife would kill me :nono:

4. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Sounds to me like the laser has died.
    The 636 has a dual laser block with one used for DVD and the other used for CD playback.

Either one can fail leaving the other working perfectly, which would result in the problem that you describe, with one disk type not being recognised.

I had exactly the same issue a while back with my older 626.
    One new laser assembly later and all back to normal.
    Fortunately my replacement was under warranty (just).

May be something else but this sounds the most likely to me.
    If its under warranty still get it back to the workshop pronto.

Hope this helps.

5. Paul.T

Paul.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately it is well out of warranty now so no freebie repair, its almost 3yrs old.

Have found that, normally, if it won't recognise a CD I can stick in a DVD, let it load and then put the CD back in and it will be OK.

Very odd behaviour. Not sure I'll buy a Pioneer again.

6. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hum very strange.
    If it sometimes recognises a CD and will play it, it's unlikely to be a failed laser. If this goes its generaly a total failure.

The problem may lay elswhere, posibly the laser assembly just needs lubrication if its sticking for example.

Sorry if my earlier post sounded doom and gloom but I did not realise it was an intermittent problem.

I don't think that pioneer are any worse than the other big names for reliability though.

7. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definatley a laser problem,either it's on its way out or is misalinged,unfortunatley if its the same as the philips it needs a new transport assembly..ouch exspensive,I had this problem on a loewe DVD player just the other way around,played cds but not dvds,this was at only 13 months with very little use,the problem was intermitant,and so it wont improve.My transport to replace and labour was about £100.