Pioneer DV-610AV-K or Onkyo DV-SP406?

Upya

Standard Member
Hi there,

I am looking to purchase a new DVD player to go alongside my new LG 42PG6000 plasma tv in my bedroom.

It will be used predominately for watching SD-DVD movies and the occasion DivX/Xvid file via a USB memory stick.

Some of my dvd's come from the US, so I would need the DVD player to be able to be multi-region.

So far I have identified the Pioneer DV-610AV-K (£119 @ TLC) and the Onkyo DV-SP406 (79.95 @ Richer Sounds) as suitable for my requirements.

I am leaning towards the Pioneer as although it is slightly more expensive, I prefer its styling and recognise it as a quality make.

What are peoples opinions on these two players and which one would you recommend?

Or is there a similarly priced player that I am maybe overlooking that you would recommend above these two?

I know that the Oppo's are considered the best, but I don't think I can justify £300+ on a player which won't be used a great deal (I will consider an Oppo, when replacing the DVD player in the lounge).

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Upya

Standard Member
Thanks for that, I think I have decided on the Pioneer from Superhifi, despite the mrs throwing the oppo 190 into the mix just to confuse me more.

I am just going around in circles, so it is probably best for me to go with my first instincts (also being that I don't have much else to go on).

If for whatever reason I don't like the Pioneer, I guess I can return it within 7 days.

Thanks again.

skk3

Many thanks for that, I have just ordered one from TLC!

I have the Dv400VS and if it is anything like yours you will have agreat player. Cheers.

Upya

Standard Member
It is listed as multi-region, so hopefully that will be ok.

I had originally ordered one for superhifi.co.uk yesterday morning and recieved an e-mail back saying it could take between 2 and 10 days to dispatch, which I was a little disappointed with.

So when I saw the post about TLC dropping their price, I cancelled the superhifi order and made one with TLC, that was late last night and I have had an e-mail already this morning saying my dvd player had been dispatched!

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Silver Serpent

It is listed as multi-region, so hopefully that will be ok.

I had originally ordered one for superhifi.co.uk yesterday morning and recieved an e-mail back saying it could take between 2 and 10 days to dispatch, which I was a little disappointed with.

So when I saw the post about TLC dropping their price, I cancelled the superhifi order and made one with TLC, that was late last night and I have had an e-mail already this morning saying my dvd player had been dispatched!

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

:smashin:

You need to select between Region 2 or Multiregion when placing the order.

Did you tick the Multiregion box?

Upya

Standard Member
I did indeed and my confirmation of dispatch e-mail states:

This is to let you know that we are shipping the following item(s) to you:
1x Pioneer DV-610AV-K Universal DVD, SACD Player with HDMI and USB Host (Black) £99.99
- DVD region: Multi Region

So I am sure I will be ok, thanks for pointing it out just incase though :thumbsup:

Upya

Standard Member
Dvd player, HDMI lead and plasma articulating wall bracket all arrived on Wednesday, so I spent a few hours setting it up.

I am really pleased with this player and not disappointed with my final decision at all.

Dvd playback quality is great and the ease of use of USB functions is top class, watching avi's from my memory stick was worth the money on its own for me.

Many thanks for all your help.

Dvd player, HDMI lead and plasma articulating wall bracket all arrived on Wednesday, so I spent a few hours setting it up.

I am really pleased with this player and not disappointed with my final decision at all.

Dvd playback quality is great and the ease of use of USB functions is top class, watching avi's from my memory stick was worth the money on its own for me.

Many thanks for all your help.

I went for this player as well on the back of this thread, I was going to get the Onkyo, only didn't get it as Richer Sounds were sold out. It's been delivered today, so hopefully I'm as impressed as you :)

whackydre

How does the pioneer handle usb movies?
Does it show full details and titles?
Need a good dvd player or should i wait for good price Blu ray Player?

Upya

Standard Member
I am very happy with how this player plays .avi files, great quality and very easy to navigate.

Whilst it doesn't show the full title of each file, it does support up to 15 characters (if I counted correctly) from the root menu/s and slightly more with the display option during playback.

I got this player over blu-ray because I own so many SD dvd's and if I was going to go for blu-ray I would probably buy a PS3, so can't really help you there.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom