Pioneer DV-610 v DV-420

Danny P

Standard Member
Anyone here seen either of these 2 in action, or any good reviews?

as far as I can see the 610 has the MediaTek 1389EXE chip
and the 420 has the MediaTek 1389FE.. would that make a
big difference? Have heard the EXE handles PAL a lot better?

Just interested in the video performance, not really worried
about all the extras.

Cheers

D

joe2snj

Novice Member
I have a DV-420 and my brother has DV-600, im guessing its close to a 610. I can safely say that both machines are very good upscalers. What I am finding though is that PQ varies heavily from disc to disc. Not all transfers are born equal.

For example good dics - 30 Days of Night, Apocalypto and Starship Troopers.
Not so good - Taken, Saving Private Ryan and Lord of War
Not good full stop - Warrior King

I couldnt say which machine is better as one is hooked up to my Kuro and his to a projector. But both very good machines and can be picked up cheap.

trevbrookes1

Novice Member
hello ,

i bought a pioneer 610 only in July and sold it in August ! i really honestly hated the machine for its upscaling picture , example .... the picture looked pixelated / blocky , i have a few sport dvds in my collection with the action in slow motion , on all the dvd players i have owned this looked smooth and enjoyable , however with the 610 it looked ' juddery' and pretty awful actually ,
it was a huge dissapiontment to buy a pioneer dvd player and not happy with it , i have bought about 5 pioneer dvd players in the past 10 years and were all excellent machines but this player was dissapointing .

i played with all the picture settings etc etc , but no joy , i sold it for near as much as i paid for it so i bought a Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player for £40.00 on Ebay and i love it !!! i use the player just for upscaling dvds to my plasma , these are really good machines . ( i also have a few HD-DVDs , you can buy these for a few quid on Ebay ) !!!

Pioneer players are not what they used to be , i know because ive had loads of them , if you are looking for a DVD player for about £100 you could do alot better for half of that .....Regards Trev..

Iain-

Novice Member
hello ,

i bought a pioneer 610 only in July and sold it in August ! i really honestly hated the machine for its upscaling picture , example .... the picture looked pixelated / blocky , i have a few sport dvds in my collection with the action in slow motion , on all the dvd players i have owned this looked smooth and enjoyable , however with the 610 it looked ' juddery' and pretty awful actually ,
it was a huge dissapiontment to buy a pioneer dvd player and not happy with it , i have bought about 5 pioneer dvd players in the past 10 years and were all excellent machines but this player was dissapointing .

i played with all the picture settings etc etc , but no joy , i sold it for near as much as i paid for it so i bought a Toshiba HD-E1 HD-DVD player for £40.00 on Ebay and i love it !!! i use the player just for upscaling dvds to my plasma , these are really good machines . ( i also have a few HD-DVDs , you can buy these for a few quid on Ebay ) !!!

Pioneer players are not what they used to be , i know because ive had loads of them , if you are looking for a DVD player for about £100 you could do alot better for half of that .....Regards Trev..
Mate, you discarded a really useful machine.My guess is that you didn't realise that Pioneer OEM firmware is the issue with DV-610.

My initial reaction to 610 was similar to yours, but I was expecting it and was prepared for it with custom firmware from this site:
PioneerFAQ

I had downloaded firmware files and burnt them to disk a few days earlier. I subsequently installed new firmware and haven't looked back; it was a huge improvement.

Upscaling of this player is very good as I used it for that purpose for a couple of months until I obtained an external VP. Now it's use is limited to just a DVD transport to feed signal to VP.

Danny P

Standard Member
Thanks all for the feedback,

Really liked the looks of the Pio and
if that EXE chip the 610 is better I'd
go for it but might just have a look at oppo,
as far as I can see, no one has said
anything bad about them...

Cheers

Iain-

Novice Member
Thanks all for the feedback,

Really liked the looks of the Pio and
if that EXE chip the 610 is better I'd
go for it but might just have a look at oppo,
as far as I can see, no one has said
anything bad about them...

Cheers
Actually, I have discovered over the past few weeks that 610 has a very important video control. That control is Block Noise Reduction.

I have only recently discovered how important that control is. It removes a lot of the SD "fog" and allows VP to do it's tasks more efficiently. It's the only native control that's turned on other than Black Level.

This is certainly something to keep in mind when evaluating other machines.

Good luck, m8.

nbat58

I have got the DV600AV and I am very pleased with it, the PQ is great on the LX-6090, having said that I use the TV upscaler.

Hope this helps.

VMat

Standard Member
I recently got a 610, but from some guys that sell it region-free on Amazon, so I'm not sure about the firmware being original or not. I can say that I'm extremely happy with it, the picture quality is excelent (I have a plasma TV). Better than the LG that I had before, and that I thought was quite decent.

I believe you'll also get some more I/O options on the 610, as well as compatibility with a few more formats.

VMat

Music Fan

Novice Member
Hi,
does anybody know where we can find the changelog of the official firmware of the dv-610 ?
I don't find it on the official website ;
Support - Pioneer UK
I have the YJC8602A version and i would like to know what brought the YJC8919A and YJC8923A versions.
;)

Crunchie

Can anyone please tell me if the HUE control on the DV-420V works on PAL DVD's, and is there a difference in the upscaling picture performance of the DV-420V and the DV-220V? Many thanks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom