Pioneer DV-600AVS Connections/setup help.

dilmon

Hi all, Having read all the good things on here about the pio DV600 i bought one from scan computers and decided to set it up last night.
I initially connected it to my phillips HDTV with the hdmi cable and checked it with a dvd, no probs .
I then tried it out with an sacd disc, pink floyd`s DSOTM and found I couldnt select 5-1 channel, connected to my yamaha amp 5-1 inputs. Having read the manual over and over I found eventually that when connected with the hdmi cable , you cannot select 5-1 channel. I removed the hdmi cable and connected with a scart and lo and behold I had 5-1 playback through my amp.

So, the question I am asking is, which is the best way to connect this up so you have the best image on the tv possible ie:upscaling and also the best playback for your sacd discs. I do not have a HDMI connection on the amp by the way.
Any advice ,tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:)

dilmon

Thank you for the quick reply, I have connected the pio to the amp with the 5-1 outputs to the 5-1 inputs on the amp and also with an optical connection. Apparently the optical only carries a digital signal whereas the sacd 5-1 outputs are analog. The problem arises with the hdmi connection whereupon it says that speakers set up etc cannot be changed when connected via the hdmi. I / you cannot change from a 2 channel to a 5-1 channel set up when using hdmi.
When connecting via hdmi you have to select this on your tv, that is: HDMI1, now could it be possible to connect the scart also, which you would then select as a seperate av channel on the tv and then give you the option to change the speaker set up? 2 to 5-1. Are you allowed to connect both a hdmi and a scart connection or would this cause problems?

Thanks again:)

[email protected]

to be honest i've never tried but you should be able to set your amp to give the sound out of all speakers. if the music your playing isnt in 5.1 then your amp will only play stereo but as i said earlyer there should be a setting on your amp to get it to play out of all the speakers. also optical will carry more info than analouge.

H

Hkan

When you want to use the 5.1 outputs and have conected with HDMI, you need to set the HDMI sound to `Off` in OSD menu!
Home Menu --> initial Settings --> Digital Audio Out --> HDMI Out

dilmon

Hi, thanks for the replies, HKan, funny you should mention that, I had another look at the manual and the set up and tried something similar to what you have advised, well I turned HDMI off anyway. I put on a sacd and found that there was no sound coming from the rear speakers, connected with the scart again and then I did have sound from the rears. So I must be doing something wrong:rolleyes:

I will try it the way you have described it and see how that goes. Can you advise on any other sound settings I should be aiming for at all ie: what should the digital out and the DTS be on etc, so i can check against the ones I have set ( all on at present )

Thanks again for all your help, it is appreciated, I just want the best possible set up I can get.

H

Hkan

If you dont get it to work, you should adjust all speakers to the same size.

heatpulse

Standard Member
Fellow Pink Floyd fan...If you are listening to Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD via 5.1 analogue out of the dv600 why would you need HDMI selected at the time if you are simply listening to a SACD? You won't need picture, only audio.

Just deselect HDMI output and select 5.1 analogue output for the audio.

If it was a Pink Floyd DVD then select HDMI...as your amp doesn't have HDMI audio input then select either analogue 5.1 out(this will sound great for Pink Floyd) or optical or coaxial digital out for DTS or Dolby Digital Surround.

All the best.

dilmon

Thanks for all the advice , I have now sorted it out. Turned off the HDMI and restarted the player , which came on without the HDMI light showing. Tried DSOTM again and it nearly blew the roof off, hadnt turned the volume down.
God what a difference, why didnt I find out about all this till now.
I later found my copy of war of the worlds was a hybrid , so played that also. All I need to do now is find a decent site to get some more sacd`s from, anyone got any pointers in this direction? I have already ordered some moody blues stuff from Amazon uk.

Thanks all again for all the help, appreciated.:thumbsup:

heatpulse

Standard Member
Now the next thing to sample on the Pioneer dv600 is the Pink Floyd DVD PULSE...maybe the greatest music DVD of all time...listen in analogue 5.1, and then try the digital audio output, see which you think sounds better.

If anyone has seen the Blu Ray of David Gilmour's Remember That Night(his On An Island tour live concert) please let me know, I'd love to know how much better it looks and sounds compared to the regular DVD.

Pulse1

If anyone has seen the Blu Ray of David Gilmour's Remember That Night(his On An Island tour live concert) please let me know, I'd love to know how much better it looks and sounds compared to the regular DVD.
I have both and the Blu Ray version is much better the Dolby True HD track on the Blu Ray disc is much more powerfull and alot clearer than the standard dvd :smashin: There is quite a difference in picture quality as well it's worth the upgrade for sure mate ;) :thumbsup:

Brian

dilmon

Now the next thing to sample on the Pioneer dv600 is the Pink Floyd DVD PULSE...maybe the greatest music DVD of all time...listen in analogue 5.1, and then try the digital audio output, see which you think sounds better.

Didnt know I could play the 5.1 analogue on pulse, mind you I only had a normal! dvd player then:rolleyes: so will give that a go.
I will have to slow down on the buying though, have just ordered, Queen: Night at the opera, that was a DVD-Audio, haven`t tried them yet, ERA - greatest hits, sacd. Moody Blues : Days of future passed.

I was wondering though, Why cant they make all! cd`s hybrids, then they could cover both the mass markets and also all the people with sacd players and even educate the ones with home theatre systems to what they are missing. Surely, if people dont know about sacd etc they wont go out buying them. I asked in HMV in town the other day ( Bangor, North Wales) about them and the reply was : I have been working for hmv for four years and I have never heard of them. So if they dont know about them , what chance have the rest of us got......DOH!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom